Sign in to follow this  

Tools for Float Bowl Removal

I have never had my float bowl off before and found a ton of thread on here that said people can change both jets in under 10 min. I went to remove mine and quickly realized that I don't have any screwdrivers short enough to get in there to remove the 3 screws.

So since I have to go buy some tools I thought I would find out what you all use and recommend for the job. I also noticed that everyone recommends replacing the screws with allen heads which I will probably do.

Should I just get some stubby screw drivers? Is there some fancy thing out there that turns 90 degrees and has less chance of stripping the small screws?

Also the front two screws look really easy to get to. But the third screw towards the rear of the bike looks complicated to get out. Any advice or tricks on that one?

They'll be easier to get to if you loosen the front and rear boot clamps so you can turn the carb to the side.

Incase you want to know, the carburetor bolts are M4x0.7's

I just use a small 1/4 ratchet with a bit driver adaptor. Works much better than a screwdriver.

Ever see those "screwdrivers" that have a phillips on one side and a flathead on the other? The ends are tweaked at 90 degree angles to one another leaving you a 1" driver using the other end as the lever. They cost about $2.00.

I have never had my float bowl off before and found a ton of thread on here that said people can change both jets in under 10 min. I went to remove mine and quickly realized that I don't have any screwdrivers short enough to get in there to remove the 3 screws.

So since I have to go buy some tools I thought I would find out what you all use and recommend for the job. I also noticed that everyone recommends replacing the screws with allen heads which I will probably do.

Should I just get some stubby screw drivers? Is there some fancy thing out there that turns 90 degrees and has less chance of stripping the small screws?

Also the front two screws look really easy to get to. But the third screw towards the rear of the bike looks complicated to get out. Any advice or tricks on that one?

Don't waste your time. Those guys that say they can change jets on the trail in 10 minutes, well, they lie (flame on - go ahead). I've had an XR400 for 10 years and have never been able to service the carb from the side - I've given up trying after about 100 times.

Everybody knows that the first thing on the XR400 assembly line is the carb, then they build the rest of the bike around it.

If you've never pulled the bowl, the screws are going to be stuck, and you will definately turn them into rivets if you try to squeeze in there from the bottom. You are going to want to have the carb in your hand to take off the bowl - you'll probably even need vice grips to crack the screws after they turn into rivets, unless you have an impact driver. Just bite the bullet and pull up the subframe then pull out the carb from the back. While your at it, pull off your shock and lube the linkage and swingarm pivot. It'll take an hour, but if you don't, you'll end up spending a half day, THEN end up taking the bike apart anyway.

JayC

You can change the main without taking the bowl off. I could easily do that in 10 minutes. Just pull out the plug on the bottom and reach up inside. I could do that all day without taking the bowl off.

to make it easier to take the bowl off, get the allen head kit. http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/tip_allens.html

then it is easier to do by far.

The bowl access for the mainjet is true via the cap style plyg on the bottom of the float bowl. for older bikes, no such luck. I prefer to remove the carb, inspect, replace jets, replace float bowl and reinstall, maybe 20 mins.

Stubby screwdrivers are amazing for a lot of jobs, especially this one - buy some just to have around. You can get the carb out without taking off the sub frame and shock, its just kinda tight. Although it probably wouldnt hurt to take a look at the linkages anyway.

-john

... and then replace the phillips screws with hex head socketed (allen) screws.

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/tip_allens.html

Cheers,

Ben

Absotively posilutely the best way to go. Trust me on this. And buy an extra hex (allen) wrench that fits the screws and keep it in your tool pack along with assorted jets.

Thanks everyone.......good tips. I've been out of town in SD on the dual sport. I'll try to tackle this when I get some free time.

bought a stubby screwdriver and was able to remove all 3 screws in about 3 minutes. None of them stripped and all came right out.

Thanks for all the help. Just wanted to make sure I didn't strip those suckers and had the right tools for the job. Thanks everyone for the info and I'll be sure to pick up some allen head replacements before I put it all back together.

bought a stubby screwdriver and was able to remove all 3 screws in about 3 minutes. None of them stripped and all came right out.

Thanks for all the help. Just wanted to make sure I didn't strip those suckers and had the right tools for the job. Thanks everyone for the info and I'll be sure to pick up some allen head replacements before I put it all back together.

The allen head replacement screw is the best way to go but if you ever have need again to remove a tight phillips carb screw [or for anything else] pick up a set of driver bits and use a 1/4" ratchet [or 3/8's if its for larger screws] Give it a try and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just be sure to select a bit that fits nice and snug in the screw.