Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 SMR Brakes

Hello all,

I have a 2006 KTM 450 SMR and am experiencing some braking issues that I hope you might have answers to. It has a BRAKING rotor and Beringer caliper (stock) and I installed a Brembo 16x18 master cylinder. Within a few laps of hard use the front certainly seems to be experiencing some fade as more brake pressure is required to slow it down. At first I went after the brake pads, found that little options exist for the Beringer caliper, but managed to get a set of BRAKING brand pads that seemed to have better bite but still faded. My next thoughts are with the rotor. Compared to the Brembo it has a lot less surface area and may not be dealing with the heat as well? Before the KTM I had a Husqvarna 450 SMR with a Brembo caliper, rotor and master with Performance Friction pads and it was AWESOME.

Now if I can get the same out of the KTM without breaking the bank. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

Try a set of EBC GFA405HH pads (Parts Unlimited part# 1721-0643). I have a 05 525SMR with a berringer radial mount caliper and braking rotor. With the stock pads I was getting brake fade after 3 laps. There's no brake fade at all with the EBC's.

Replace the brake fluid with Motul RBF600 as well.

What you described is exactly what I am experiencing. I will give them a try. I do use the Motul and keep the fluid bleed on a regular basis.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff