Death rattle?

Since I purchased my '08 DR650 a couple months ago it has had an annoying lower end rattle very noticeable at idle. It makes a rattle sound like a loose rod or crankshaft bearing and does it wether it is hot or cold. I have about 1200 mikes on it now and it has stayed the same. The bike runs great. The "factory trained" tech at the stealership told me it was normal and all the DR650's do it. I cannot confirm this as I haven't been able to listen to any other DR's. I have an XR-400 with allot of hard dirt miles on it, and an old Yamaha TT 500 and neither of them make any lower end noise. I have heard that DR engines are noisey but this isn't a normal clicking from valves out of adjustment or a worn clutch basket, it is localized around the crankshaft area. Does anyone else have this issue, or can anyone tell me what the rattle is from? I am really loving this bike, but I don't want to spend good money to farkle it up if it's going to grenade on me. What's the deal????

Hi, your bike is still under warranty, get the dealer to put in writing that there is nothing wrong (I doubt he`ll do it) and ride that bike till it blows. Then take it back and get a new engine. If the dealer wont put it in writing he knows there is a problem and should fix it.

It makes a rattle sound like a loose rod or crankshaft bearing and does it wether it is hot or cold.

My bike makes no such noise and never has. I know what a rod knock sounds like (like a little man with a hammer on the inside trying to get out ?) and if your bike is making that sound I would be concerned. You definitely need to get some documentation before it runs out of warranty, but I would push to have it corrected before warranty runs out. It would suck to try to have something taken care under warranty and fight all of the red tape which would be necessary after your warranty expires.

Mine a little noisier than other bikes I have owned but it doesnt make any noise that sticks out as being ? I can remember reading a thread here somewhere about a nut coming loose in the clutch basket area I think.Might be worth checking out.

record the sound as clear as possible and post it!

Try a non-biased non-dealer motorcycle mechanic(s) and get it in writing from them as well, (even if you have to pay a mild fee). I'd even let them know that they won't be fixing it if it is something so they don't decide in what they think may be their favor. If they agree with you then quit riding it and attack the dealer full steam to get it repaired!

Or try another dealer?

It absolutly shocks me that there are so many posts stating that the DR is a "quiet motor" I have read so many posts about the loud mechanical noise from the DR and many more replies that it is normal. Ga-thupm it sounds like your bike does just what mine does, at idle there is a steady knock from the crank case on my bike, it does it hot or cold but goes away just off idle, I have seen many posts of folks reporting the same symptoms and havn't found anything wrong with their bike, mine has been looked at by two very trusted mechanics, one who has owned 3 DR650 that all made the same noise and two different dealerships that said every DR they sell makes that sound, Now I have not heard the noise that your bike makes, but as you describe it sounds just like mine, I have had mine for about 4 mo. and have put 3800 hard miles on it with out a problem it seems that it keeps getting better, it will be going in for the 4k service and I don't think there will be anything wrong.

It absolutly shocks me that there are so many posts stating that the DR is a "quiet motor"

I am by no means implying that my motor is quiet as a mercedes, it's more along the lines of a diesel engine. I often lean over to listen at what sounds like a lumbermill's saw-works in full action. However, I do not have any steady knocking going on.

the 650 in top condition sounds JUST like a big bore thumper should. Will it purr like a japanese inline 4? No. The OP has experience with thumpers and I imagine knows what one sounds like. Theres definitely no "death rattle." My suggestion is to check out youtube for some DR650 videos (and there are plenty of them) to get a good idea of what they typically sound like. Anyway...when warranty issues are concerned...its better to err on the side of caution.

Can you guys hear the counter balance wizzing around ? Mine in 3ed...

About the only time I hear piston slap,cam smack,,,, what ever,,,, is when shes hot and run hard for,,say 3 hours or so....

But at a certian RPM it should fade to nothing......No :D tack so F that...........

:worthy: The "factory trained" tech at the stealership:moon:

So if it's no big deal,Mr. S. let me take a spin on this one over there and see if sounds the same......Its old school, the speedo unplugs in no time...

Now is a good time to run the Dog Crap out of it....

If it is a true DR it will run better for it.. Set those Rings in ?