Sign in to follow this  

trailer lighting problems

i have a chevy 1500. it has the plug in for a trailer with brakes and i am towing a 6x12 trailer with no brakes so i use and adapter to connect the two. for some reason the lights do not work for the first 15 mins or so of driving and then they magically turn on. i know that it is nothing wrong with the trailer because it works fine when plugged into my other truck. does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Ground. Most small trailers need to be grounded to the truck to work (through the ball). Your ball may be rusted/dirty and then after some driving it rubs off enough to get a good ground between the two. There are less likely scenarios, but trailer light problems are almost always ground IMO.

The white wire is the ground. Make sure the wire has a clean and secure connection on your vehicle.

Check the same thing on your trailer.

i have a chevy 1500. it has the plug in for a trailer with brakes and i am towing a 6x12 trailer with no brakes so i use and adapter to connect the two. for some reason the lights do not work for the first 15 mins or so of driving and then they magically turn on. i know that it is nothing wrong with the trailer because it works fine when plugged into my other truck. does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Open ground in wiring, maybe its relying ont he ball for a ground now. As soon as the rust wears away, lights work. Just a thought. Take a jumper cable, clamp the black end on the trailer frame, other black end on the truck frame, see if it works ASAP.

thanks guys i cleaned off all the rust from the ball and the lights work fine!

thanks guys i cleaned off all the rust from the ball and the lights work fine!

It shouldnt rely on the trailer ball for a ground. There is a separate ground wire, be it a 4 pole flat plug or the 7 way RV type plug. The ground is usually the white wire