XT550 High Compression Piston?

Hi all...

I've been looking for a HiComp piston for a 1983 Yamaha XT550 for some time now, but haven't had any luck. Wiseco also only stocks the kits for the XT600's, so I was wondering...would it pay to have the cylinder bored by 3mm and then replated/resleeved? That would mean an increase of 40cc's. Would it be wise, or should I opt for a bigger bore, since they're only a bit more than the standard bore pricewise? Since the stroke of the 550 and the 600 are the same, I would suppose they are compatible...although that I'm just assuming:confused:

Thanks guys

Take care:ride:

I doubt that it is worth the time and money. Consider selling the bike and then use the cash and the money that you were going to spend on the upgrade to buy something a little more modern. The suspension on that 550 is OK for the road, but it not so good off road.

• Like 1

I agree with the crap off-road performance. It just bottoms out the whole time and it's kinda harsh. I'm a little cash strapped at the moment, and with dirt bikes being so expensive here (R72000 for an 08 RMZ450, thats around $10000), I don't think I'll get a new one anytime soon...

Wabbit16, doesn't the 550 cylinder have a pressed in iron sleeve? I know the '83 TT600 went to a chrome barrel, supposedly to save some weight.

If your barrel is indeed iron, you should be able to just bore it. If that's the case, I have a new Wiseco standard bore (95 mm) 11.5-1 piston kit for a TT600 if you're interested. Bruce

Zrxer, I think you might be right about the iron cylinder. Look, I'm not exactly rolling in the dough, if I spend $20 a month, that's a lot for me. Thanks for the offer but as it is now, you'll get all the money for it by the time I retire:ride:. I'll ask around about the iron sleeve, who knows, maybe I learn something...

Curiosity is never a good reason for pissing money away.  Experience is always the best teacher but the tuition is way too high.  Selah.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
Wisdom! Let us attend!

Curiosity is never a good reason for pissing money away.  Experience is always the best teacher but the tuition is way too high.  Selah.

Is there someone who put the 95mm piston on xt550?

Yes, I led a top secret CIA team in the '80's as part of a deep cover operation working on that exact thing for the military in the islands during the war.  We can't talk about it.  Please don't ask again.

47 minutes ago, Jimmy Pascol said:

Yes, I led a top secret CIA team in the '80's as part of a deep cover operation working on that exact thing for the military in the islands during the war.  We can't talk about it.  Please don't ask again.

So that means no we haven't tried and we shouldn't ask? Or does it mean yes we have tried and we shouldn't waste our money because it doesn't work?