Sign in to follow this  

KX 65 washer mod and kickstand

Bought a 2002 KX65 for my son and put a new top end in it. Jetting is really close with just a slight mid throttle rich spot. Now to de-tune the bike for a while so my son doesn't kill himself.

With the washer in the exhaust flange will I need to change the jetting? If so, what have others found that worked for them? The washer has a half inch hole and the exhaust is an FMF SST and T-2 spark arrestor. Otherwise the engine is stock.

I also ordered the KX 60 kickstand parts - does anyone have a picture of their bike after the welding was done? Just trying to get an idea of how it mounts up.

Thanks. :)

Bought a 2002 KX65 for my son and put a new top end in it. Jetting is really close with just a slight mid throttle rich spot. Now to de-tune the bike for a while so my son doesn't kill himself.

With the washer in the exhaust flange will I need to change the jetting? If so, what have others found that worked for them? The washer has a half inch hole and the exhaust is an FMF SST and T-2 spark arrestor. Otherwise the engine is stock.

I also ordered the KX 60 kickstand parts - does anyone have a picture of their bike after the welding was done? Just trying to get an idea of how it mounts up.

Thanks. :)

well it depends on alt. what plug your using etc.

im at 4400 ft and we tried the washer the first time riding it,

after that i pulled it out, but the plug read perfect with no jetting and a slight higher idle setting. this was with stock exhaust also.

i say run it for ten minutes and then rad the plug at about 1/2 throttle at least, good long str8's back and forth, then read the plug, on a exhaust washer i put it a JR50 it fouled plugs left and right no matter how low i seemed to go with pilot and main, i would think this would be the case with most bikes on the washer in the exhaust it would seem to ru a little rich most of the time but the kx65 didnt seem to at all, the plug looks like coffee and thats what i like to see it at.

as far as the kickstand goes i cant help you there but if you take a pic or to when you get it im sure i could help you out. i made a clamp on kickstand to clamp onto the swingarm and it works great! and then i take it off on race days.

as far as the kickstand goes i cant help you there but if you take a pic or to when you get it im sure i could help you out. i made a clamp on kickstand to clamp onto the swingarm and it works great! and then i take it off on race days.

I made a skidplate for ours a couple of weeks ago (look for post tonight), and a kickstand is next on the list. JAM, you got any pics of yours?

That would be cool to see your pics Ryan - actually picked up the materials to make a lightweight but strong skid plate for my son's bike yesterday.

A cutting board and some half P clips for conduit.

My thoughts are to shape the cutting board (HDPE I believe) to the contour of the frame, as wide as the widest part of the frame, hopefully the cutting board will be wide enough for me to also cup the water pump and stator cover. Using the P clips as mounting brackets to fasten to the frame without drilling the frame (see cross section below).

Crosssect.jpg

This kickstand (mounts on swingarm) seems to be relatively popular on most trail bikes, I've offered to get one for my son, he seems to think there's plenty of trees and he won't ever need one.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/03/b5/5dd7_1.JPG

Drilled out the washer to 9/16" and put it in. It works great! It didn't seem to need a jetting change - chocolate brown plug. And it keeps the boy from over-revving it and just barely lets it get on the pipe - I guess I should say "lets it get on the washer." I can tell because the exhaust smokes very little till he hits the limits of the washer and then it starts smoking more.

And the 10 oz FWW made it easier to start and helped to keep it from stalling when letting out the clutch. We rode 76 miles and he now has a good grasp of how to use the clutch. He is figuring out the bike fast! He did so good I think I'll reward him and drill out the washer a little more. 👍

Now to make his cutting board skid plate! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

The stock KX60 kickstand mounted low enough to work. Hangs down almost 2" below the frame - not good!

picture02hv1.jpg

I cut the kickstand and put enough pipe in it to extend it out 1.5", moved the mounting bracket up 1", modified the mounting bracket to let it swing higher and closer into the bike and rotated the foot so it points up instead of straight out.

The modified end result:

picture12oz6.jpg

picture10ip1.jpg

picture13zc7.jpg

Sorry about the crappy phone pictures but I couldn't find my camera.

makKX250 Got my grandson a KX65 a couple months back and he loves it. Like your son he has learned the clutch pretty quickly. I was wondering if you found a post about the kicktand mod or did you do it yourself. Id like to put one on but need more info. Any tips about what to order, how you mounted it would be great.

I had heard of people doing it but couldn't find any useful information so I just did it. The KX60 came with a kick stand so I just ordered the parts off Bike Bandit.

Make sure you leave enough space between the tab you have welded on and the chain roller so you can get to the nuts after you mount it. I had the tab welded a little too low but it still works. I took off the shrouds, tank, seat, fender, swing arm, shock and air cleaner box to make is easier to to weld the tab - you can't get to the back side with the swing arm installed. It was a good excuse to grease up all the bearings anyway.

I cut the kickstand stop back some so when it is folded up it goes higher and tucks in more. Now I need to find a little bit shorter spring. I also turned the foot when I welded in the extension so it wouldn't find it's way into my son's leg in a crash.

Thanks for the update. I need to do something with ours...

Ive just purchased a kx65 for my 8 year old son, and I used the washer mod to tame the beast down for him. I wanted to say thank you for the information and he's just loving his new bike, without my fears it was going to 'bite' him. Thanks again.

After his three rides with the washer in, I took the washer out for our ride yesterday. It scared him so bad he came back begging me to put the washer back in.:worthy:

I explianed that he needs to control his power by shifting to a higher gear (sneaky way to get him to shift more!) Within an hour he was grinning ear to ear and was loving the new found power.:eek:

picture030hm3.jpg