Sign in to follow this  

Going to ride Clearwater NF (ID); any tips?

Hey there

Making our annual trek to ID soon. We usually hit Baumgartner area to head over the singletrack to Atlanta. That's on our list again but we haven't been to Clearwater NF for years. Any trail recommendations you guys would like to share for Clearwater? If so, that would be awesome.

We'd like to focus on areas that have any traction too. How's the weather over there?? We used to go all the time in late June. Yeah, there was traction but also tons of blowdown so we'd do lots of sawing. We're a little later this year so not sure if we'll be lucky enough to get some traction.

Honestly, I can't remember what Clearwater was like we were there so long ago. If there's an area we should focus on that anyone would like to share, I'd sure appreciate it!! The harder the better (for the most part:applause: )

Thanks!

• Like 1

I just got back from there on Sunday. This is the year to go, as the FS travel plan is going to close a considerable number of trails by this time next year. Traction and weather were both wonderful. I used a trials tire on the rear which really worked well on the rock and root steps. I camped at a site called "Bungalow". There are a lot of trail heads in that area. The trails were all in excellent condition...much better than Baumgartner (I was there the week before last), but there is still a lot of blow down in some areas. The guy I rode with carried a very small chain saw, which helped a lot. Get a map. It's easy to get lost out there. You'll have fun.

Hey kim, are you ONLY going to clearwater? or clearwater and then BG or somewhere else afterwards. I ask because I don't know a damn thing about clearwater, lol, but if you make it to our part of idaho and tresa and I run into you, that would be cool.

We're spending next week in the stanley basin.

Almost everything is clear down here, steeper stuff can be loose and dry this late in the year, but a few thunderstorms is all it takes to tighten up the dirt again.

-mark w (the artist formerly known as velo)

Hey kim, are you ONLY going to clearwater? or clearwater and then BG or somewhere else afterwards. I ask because I don't know a damn thing about clearwater, lol, but if you make it to our part of idaho and tresa and I run into you, that would be cool.

We're spending next week in the stanley basin.

Almost everything is clear down here, steeper stuff can be loose and dry this late in the year, but a few thunderstorms is all it takes to tighten up the dirt again.

-mark w (the artist formerly known as velo)

Weaver!! Ah hah! Yes, let's ride! If we could all make that happen, let's do it!

we plan to do BG, stanley area, and Clearwater. Clearwater is our main priority due to the upcoming closures (as stated previously in someone's reply). We're leaving this Fri. And we usually go there via small dirt two track roads, so it takes us awhile. Maybe we meet up somewhere where you guys are riding??

I just got back from there on Sunday. This is the year to go, as the FS travel plan is going to close a considerable number of trails by this time next year. Traction and weather were both wonderful. I used a trials tire on the rear which really worked well on the rock and root steps. I camped at a site called "Bungalow". There are a lot of trail heads in that area. The trails were all in excellent condition...much better than Baumgartner (I was there the week before last), but there is still a lot of blow down in some areas. The guy I rode with carried a very small chain saw, which helped a lot. Get a map. It's easy to get lost out there. You'll have fun.

Bungalow; yep saw it on the map last night as I was studying it. Thanks so much for the info. Yeah, I heard that about the FS there. That's exactly why we're going. Got the maps and gps! Thanks! Fingers crossed for those thunderstorms-the wet ones of course-

Had a major thunderstorm last Friday night. We actually had hail at one point. It did a good job knocking the dust down for the next mornings riding.

That trail right there by the crapper at Bungalow comes out upstream at that bridge right? We plan on being out there in late September or early October. I didn't ride it last year (fishing was too good) so I'm determined to ride it this year. Especially if it's going to close. Is it a good trail? So Clearwater NF is closing it on their own decision? Anyone have any link to that decision?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Last year was the 1st I'd been fishing and riding out there and loved it. Idaho won't be quite as cool (and believe me, I like Idaho!) if they close that area.

Is there much riding around Lowell? Buddy has a cabin there and I rode up the road to Selway Falls, but didn't have a chance to find any single track.

That trail right there by the crapper at Bungalow comes out upstream at that bridge right?

We rode that trail last Friday. It took us to the Weitas creek guard station. From there, there's a trail out Weitas creek that takes you to the steel bridge.

Huskygril I will be at BG from the 18-23. We will be camped by the river near the Kelly Creek Trail Head. Tent camping and NV plates, stop by and say hi if your there then.

Ed

Huskygril I will be at BG from the 18-23. We will be camped by the river near the Kelly Creek Trail Head. Tent camping and NV plates, stop by and say hi if your there then.

Ed

For sure! If we hit BG during that week, we'll stop by. We'll be doin' the husaberg and husky thing w/Cali plates:thumbsup: We're definately going to BG just don't know exactly when we'll get there. We leave Fri but we basically put the rig in four wheel starting in Cali to get there. Just imagine Lewis and Clark but in a Nissan NISMO...!

Had a major thunderstorm last Friday night. We actually had hail at one point. It did a good job knocking the dust down for the next mornings riding.

That'd be perfect! Something special about summer time traction!

Ross fork.

Heh heh, i get a gold star. I haven't even been up there in a couple years.