Sign in to follow this  

Reverse brake bleeding question

This is in regards to totally replacing the fluid. Saw a handfull of threads on here about reverse bleeding the brake lines using a large syringe and tube setup and I'm wondering if you're supposed to drain the entire brake system before you start this procedure or just capture the expelled used fluid from the resevoirs with a funnel or jar as it is replaced with the new stuff.

not an answer to ur question BUT i have never "bought in to" the notion of reverse bleeding...do to the ID of the brake lines entrapped air bubbles will easily move through the lines, to the caliper and out the bleeder...

reverse bleeding and the notion that ur working against gravity does not hold water(or air in this case)since any entrapped air in the caliper by the high point(the bleeder) wud be working against gravity in a "reverse bleed"

but then again i'm oldskool...just have plenty of fluid available for a gud flush and complete bleed of the old fluid.

:)

Are you talking about using a syringe/pump to suck fluid out of the bleeder, or actually push it backward through the system?

Drawing the fluid out of the bleeder is fine; lots of "one-man" bleeder kits do it.

Pushing it backward(which I have not heard of before) sounds risky at best. It would be really easy to push air into the system, let alone dirt.

My suggestion is to just bleed the brakes like normal until you're comfortable that all the old fluid is gone.

You can even just open up the bleeder and let it "gravity bleed". Be sure to have plenty of fluid ready to keep the master full.

never thought about that...

a setup that works great for me...i applied a little thread sealer(same as speedbleeder supplies) on the bleeder threads this prevents air from leaking in from the threads and attach a 24" surgical rubber tube to the bleeder and open it up...just keep the reservoir topped and pump away...close the bleeder when ur done...simple one man job :)

usally the brake fluid bottles are twice volume needed so i do flush with the excess...i don't reuse open brake fluid oil since it's hydroscopic (easily absorbes water) and degrades once open here in humid H-Town...now if i lived in Arizona i might save it for later use.

:D