Sign in to follow this  

xl500r disc brake conversion ?

I love my 82 xl500r but I would like to install a disc fronnt brake system. Does anyone know if I can install a set of forks and wheel from a different model with front disc. I don't really want to get into changing out the triple clamps. I was thinking maybe an xl600r with the front disc set up? please let me know.

I'm pretty sure that the XL and XR 83 and on forks are larger diameter. It would be a whole front end swap. If I remember correctly it's been done and described here before.

Yeah the 83 up XR's are bigger..I purchased a complete front end from an 83 500 including steering stem and the guy I bought them off said they bolt on if you use the steering stem from the 83. Apparently it's a straight fit into the 82 xl 500 front end.I haven't tried or measured to confirm his information as I only bought it for the speedo drive. Paid a hundred for the entire front end..bargain considering a speedo drive is probably about $80.00 alone.The XL 600 forks are a different size again from the XR 500/600 so not sure on the steering stem fit to an 82 XL for them.

I'll have a measure of all my bikes fork diameters and post the info a bit later..as you see I also own an 82 XL 500.,, here they are...82 XL 37mm,,,86 XR 600 and the XR500's 43mm..86 XL600 41mm.

No worries..I thought the XL600 fork's may be a go in the 82 XL without the need to change the stem but as you can see they are just a bit bigger..Looks like the stem from the 83 up 500 is the best option giving you the choice of the XR500 or the XR600 forks..

so then what I need to look for is a front end off a 1983 xr500 or xr600. Will this be a direct swap or do I need to change the stem?

Might be better to post the question in the 600/650 section Doug.Someone over their may know for definite..or try the other 4strokes.co forums. They know their stuff as well.

Regarding the Stem/SHead..As you can see by the diameter of the forks you will need to change the stem/steering head to get the 83 forks on..43mm diameter XR500/XR600 forks will not go into 37mm XL 500 fork holes ,,Whether the 600 stem/sh is the same as the 500 I do not know..All I do know is what the seller of the front end told me.I cannot be 100% sure of the fit without doing the mod myself and I have no plans to do that at this stage..