Sign in to follow this  

81' XR200 Stuck At Full Throttle After Crash

Hi ive got a 1981 XR200 that my brother crashed pretty hard over the handlebars yesterday. It broke off the levers and the bike was stuck at full throttle until we could get to it and turn it off. We put everything back together how it should be but when you kick it over it still stays reved out at redline.

Twisting the throttle you can feel the cable moving but it does nothing to raise or lower the RPM's from wide open. Any idea's? Thanks

take the air filter off and look through the carb when twisting the throttle with the bike not running. The slider in the carb should be moving up and down when you are twisting the throttle. if its not, something is screwed up between the carb and the throttle.

I took off the top of the carb where the cable goes in and the slider thing would go up and down when I twisted the throttle so I dont think its stuck.

I took off the top of the carb where the cable goes in and the slider thing would go up and down when I twisted the throttle so I dont think its stuck.

Yeah but that doesn't mean that the slider wasn't stuck inside the carb. I would bet the needle got wedged when you crashed holding up the slider. I bet when you put it back together your problem may be solved.

Took the top of the carb apart again and the slider was stuck so we cleaned it out and pushed it all the way to the bottom and it moves freely now. It is not stuck at wide open anymore but its still stuck at a very high rpm. Any other idea's? Thanks

Check the idle adjustment screw on the side. It may be in too much pushing up the slider. Also check your cable. The ends may be outside of the housings at either end thereby acting as if you were holding open the throttle a bit.