Where do I buy a good helmet cam?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been running the VHoldr camera and I really like it. No wires, battery life and video quality are great. Only thing I don't like is the wind noise at times. Easy to adjust and power on/off with gloves on.

I race hare scrambles so I can't really see me getting the GoPro. First log/tree I have to go under say bye bye. The oregon one on the other hand can go on the side of my helmet.

You can also get a handlebar mount for the GoPro which is probably the route i'll go

The Go Pro comes with a side mount as well.. Got it @ backcountry.com for 20% off retail. Just make sure you use energizer lithium batteries (non rechargable)...works great for the price.

call me stupid but i do not see it on backcountry.com

• 3 weeks later...

it really depends on what you want to do with the video. Do you want to roll the video onto DVD? Do you plan to edit the video? Are planning to (just) put the video online? Do you ride all day trail rides or a few laps on the mx track? Do you plan to take it on a vacation trip? Whats your budget? Wat type of terrain do you ride?

Answers to these questions will guide you through the decision process. There is no 'one system does it all' or 'best' system - rather a set of tradeoffs based on the weight you place on your specific needs.

I race enduros primarily, and ride Dual Sports. I needed a camera that offers the highest video & audio quality first. That requirements eliminated almost every solid state media camera on the market. The camera has to run 8 hours on a charge, record for up to 6 hours, have a remote control so I don't have to record 'uninteresting' sections of trail. I needed visual indicators for battery & recording capacity. I needed high quality source data (intraframe compression preferably) so I can easily edit to DVD or anywhere else I choose, and I needed a camera that was protected from the certain destruction racing in the East Coast woods would deliver.

I chose the helmetcamera.com system as it supported my needs, but your needs are likely different.

An example of some recent hcam videos are here: helmet camera videos.

Here's some more helmet cam videos: more helmet camera videos

The Go Pro comes with a side mount as well.. Got it @ backcountry.com for 20% off retail. Just make sure you use energizer lithium batteries (non rechargable)...works great for the price.

Not bad on the price, but I sell the GoPro Helmet Hero 3 for $145 shipped, directly from GoPro.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any feed back on the go pro helmet cam vs the vholdr helmet cam. here are the web sites

http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/helmetcam

http://www.goprocamera.com/

The go pro seems very bulky and th evhold not so much. It looks as though the vhold is super easy to use??????????????

I also wanted to add this video that i just found

http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/videos?vid=7

:ride:

Edited by Rangerfng

I own both of them, vholdr hands down can be mounted in a sleeker position on your visor, and its way easier to turn on and off. Both do good video quality. The go pro is like having a set of antlers mounted to your helmet.

The only advantage the gopro has over the vholdr is that it can snap pictures.

With that being said you just need to decide what is more important to you...

easier controls and better mounting options vs. snapping pictures

The choice is yours!

i just picked up a GoProHD motorsports package on Ebay for 240 shipped to me. just gotta do the best offer thing and see if you can get them down some. though i almost wish i had seen the Vholdr one first it does look like it would be a little better for sticking on my helmet, but since i dont ride in the woods im sure this will work fine for me. cant wait to get it and get some video.

guess if i dont like it i can always sell it and get the Vholdr

If I am to spend $250 bucks on a helmet camera, I'd rather just spend about $50-$70 more and get the 1080P version. The difference between the two are night and day.

I'll be looking into one this summer, maybe the price will drop from $330.

Vholdr 1080P's are $330.

Go Pro's version is $300.

If I am to spend $250 bucks on a helmet camera, I'd rather just spend about $50-$70 more and get the 1080P version. The difference between the two are night and day.

I'll be looking into one this summer, maybe the price will drop from $330.

Vholdr 1080P's are $330.

Go Pro's version is $300.

i just got the 1080 version for $240. maybe i wasnt clear in the previous post.

Yes the sysyem that currently have is just a pain in the ass. I wear a fanny pack that holds a DVR,mic, and 8 aa batteries. Then i have a wire bullet camera that mounts to several places on my helmet and or bike. It was a christmas present from my GF and it was great. We have had several issues with it and all its wires...