Sign in to follow this  

Saturdays Ride

Saturdays Ride

This past Saturday Sbabs and I finally had the chance to get together and ride our Supermotos.

Sbabs was on his new XR650L and I was on my trusty XR4 SM.

I met Sbabs at his house and we road the twisty Upper Bluff Roads along the Mississippi River from Columbia Illinois to Prairie Du Rocher Illinois with stops in Maystown for lunch and Valmeyer to take a break and wrench on the bikes a little and then to play on the actual levee off the Big River itself and then back to Columbia.

link to general area of our ride.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&address=11563+Bluff+Rd&city=Columbia&state=IL&zipcode=62236

The weather was almost perfect, the sky was blue with temps in the high 80’s

Total round trip for the days ride was a little over 160 miles from Columbia to Prairie Du Rocher and back to Columbia.

My XR4 ran flawlessly the entire day without any problems what so ever! My electric start XR4 matched with the TRX400EX electronics worked with out a whimper the entire day.

Here are some pics when we stopped at a limestone mine to cool off from the mines tunnels blowing out 60 degree air.

DSCN0776.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

What an ugly mug! Sbabs wrenching on his Ride...

DSCN0789.jpg

And me cooling off with some water and natural air conditioning.

DSCN0790.jpg

I pretty much ran 4th and 5th gears while running the twisties trying to keep ahead of Sbabs on his XR650L which was hard to do because he was on my tail the entire day.

Then Sbabs said this to me when we stopped for a break after I said wow that was a hard run "theres no replacement for displacment"

I wanted to slap him, hard!

Anyway, the roads were mostly oil chipped and rather narrow with left and right turns one on top of the other.

We ran a fast pace generally in the mid 60’s, we had to ride with caution at times because each turns view was either blocked by corn or trees so we couldn't really see through the turns or corners to get really unobstructed view.

So moderation was the game of the day otherwise we might run head on to a car or tractor or Deer and turkeys which we had run out if front of us on this ride!

This was sbabs first run on his new Excell 17’s with Avon Distanzas on his 650L and let me tell you those Avons are the ticket!

He was hooking up all day on every road condition while I was spinning on hard acceleration and sliding on hard braking, so as soon as I run the rubber off of my Avon Venoms it’s going to be Avon Distanzas for me!

Those puppies work!

We had a good time and I can’t wait till we can get out and run the bikes again as soon as our schedules will allow.

Here we are on the river side of the levee playing in some mud.

DSCN0805.jpg

And here is Sbabs calling his mom, I mean wife asking if he could play a little longer.

DSCN0804.jpg

That’s the hard part, finding the time to get away!

It sucks getting old...

It sucks getting old...

Yeah, but it sure beats the alternative.

Enjoyed the pics & commentary! :)

i saw so many converted motards this weekend parked out side the doug henry gp. from tarded a ktm 380exc to gsxr1000's in full street fighter gear..they look like alot of fun. it must be hard to maintain with out ripping wheelies everywhere though. i was thinking of doing my xr400 up but i think ill wait and do may ktm450 aways down the road. 48hp 6speed bike = some serious top speed. ive got it geared 13/50 which is super low and the thing still does 94mph

John,

I figured out the wheel rubbing issue. Now I need to figure out how to fix it.

So, can you come over and install my fork skins, my frame guards, my damper, and then, while you are at it, hook up a Tom Tom like yours for me? Then, when you finish that, I've got more for you to do. Oh, then you can take a head with you. :)

I think you wanted to play with some porting no?

Saturday was fun. I just hop to get that front rotor issue figured out. It's ticking me off.