Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Modifications

Since I have purchased my KDX I havent touched the suspension once. I havent even set the sag. Next year I am going to start racing Junior Enduros through NETRA and I would like to get my bike handling as good as possible. I plan on getting new Fork and Shock springs for my weight. And I also was looking at the Gold Valve, what exactly will that do for me?

the gold valve just changes the valving in the forks, specifically in the middle of the stroke, it also adds tunability. i wouldnt put that money into those forks. i would just do a basic respring and shim stack adjustments for my weight, or go for the full kx front end. the rear works great on the kdx.

please read http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601122

a few weeks after that thread i got a hybrid, now thats a race bike

To get the best out of the bike, you should go ahead and set the sag properly. If you are going to race, you may benefit from training and riding with it set up properly sooner rather than later.

What is your weight in full riding gear?

Here are a couple of pictures that may help you. The first picture is some 1995 - 2006 style forks disassembled. The second is a comparison of the stock compression valving and the Race Tech Gold Valve (similar for all KDX cartridge forks). It allows a great deal more tuning capability and better damping control compared to stock. Depending on your budget, a swap to KX forks may be better for you.

1996KDX200Forks.jpg

oldgold.jpg

To get the best out of the bike, you should go ahead and set the sag properly. If you are going to race, you may benefit from training and riding with it set up properly sooner rather than later.

What is your weight in full riding gear?

Here are a couple of pictures that may help you. The first picture is some 1995 - 2006 style forks disassembled. The second is a comparison of the stock compression valving and the Race Tech Gold Valve (similar for all KDX cartridge forks). It allows a great deal more tuning capability and better damping control compared to stock. Depending on your budget, a swap to KX forks may be better for you.

1996KDX200Forks.jpg

oldgold.jpg

Right on!!! an actual tuner thats nice to see. I have a 450 that I resprung to my weight set the sag and then took it out and tuned it up one side and down the other untill I was satisfied. I even played with the oil level until it was perfect. I ride my bike in the open desert the ride is plush but cofidence inspiring and it soaks up woops and BIG hits like a two wheeled trophy truck. Good suspenstion is worth the work and you can only get by doing the work.

to kdx garage

So do you recommend the gold valve does the springs and the gold valve added at the same time make a big difference and is the difference good or bad?

Thanks

Cole

to kdx garage

So do you recommend the gold valve does the springs and the gold valve added at the same time make a big difference and is the difference good or bad?

Thanks

Cole

alomst anything you do will make a huge diff. just changing the springs was night and day, fluid valving, shim stacks.. you should notice a difference in all of em

to kdx garage

Thanks

Cole

There are a few things to consider. Are you doing the work yourself? What is your riding skill level? What level of performance do you want from the forks? What is your budget on the forks?

If I could only do one, I would get the springs. RT Gold Valves and stock springs would not work nearly as well as correct rate (stiffness) springs and the stock base valve.

What is your weight in full riding gear, toolbag, water backpack, etc.?

The front OEM springs are for a 150lb. rider, the rear for a 180lb. rider. What is your weight with & without gear???

I had my OEM Forks re-sprung & re-valved & it did make a difference, BUT..I would locate a KX125/250 Front End & Install that on the bike. Fork Flex on the OEM KDX Forks is VERY NOTICABLE, the KX Forks.....Well it's like driving an Old Hyundai then a New Cadillac. YES, that BIG A DIFFERENCE. Also, I pulled the rear wheel back as far as possible via a New & Longer O-Ring Chain. The KDX Swingarm is shorter than most off-road bikes & by doing this it makes the bike more stable in the rough stuff.