Sign in to follow this  

TTR-125 Questions

I'm looking for a trail bike to handle tight single track, and thought the TTR-125 might be a good choice. I'm 140 pounds and 5-10. Been riding a TE250, but it's too heavy and tall for that kind of riding. The specs I've found on the TTR-125 vary from 170 to 200 pounds. That seems like a alot of difference. Are the various models of the TTR-125 that different? Thanks...

Yep pretty much

TTR125E = small wheel Electric start

TTR125LE = Tall wheel Electric start

TTR125L = Tall Wheel NON Electric start

I would think for someone your size you will need the tall wheel and swap the front forks for YZ85 forks and triple clamps as well as getting a bigger rear shock. Search hear for TTR125 YZ conversation.

Big wheel to me means an 18/21 setup, so i was initially confused, thinking small wheel meant 16/19. After reading some more posts, it sounds like the TTR-125LE is the way to go for me, but looks like the stock suspension needs some serious mods. Definitely do not like the thought that just going through a rocky stream or down a long hill in the forest can twist the forks. That would suck. Does a fork brace work on these little bikes?

But I'm not sure the YZ fork conversion will make me happy either, since it raises the front end so much. Then I'd have to do the rear shock mod. Maybe I should find a TTR-125LE for sale with all the mods, including the BBR engine mod, already installed. Thanks for the feedback, Broccoli2...

You might consider bolting on the complete YZ85 front end (including the smaller YZ85 front wheel.) This option simplifies a conversion that's pretty simple to begin with. You end up with a better rim and less "chopper" effect. I bought an entire brand new front end on Ebay this winter. Total cost was very reasonable. I had the fork revalved and resprung for my 160lbs by a local suspension shop.

Now, if I can ever finish the remodel of my house, I'll bolt it on and see how it works.

My friend is going ebay some YZ85 forks that are lowered so you won't need to off-set the rear. However, the rear does need to re-valved a sprung for your weight. Either that or a Works shock. Also, a KLX140 has an awsome rear set-up, but the same junkie forks and carb.

I am 190lbs and bop around in the woods only. I get some air here and there off small jumps. All I did was get Joker Machine springs front and back. I have never had a problem with the forks twisting.

IMHO I think you are gonna feel cramped on the TTR125. I would go slightly bigger like a XR200 or a TTR230/CRF230