Sign in to follow this  

SSR140TX carb issues maybe?

So, as most of you know, just got a new SSR140TX and had an issue with the throttle tube being broken (turns out there was a metal shaving inside the throttle tube housing that was just barely sticking out (manufacturing defect) so when I bought a CR style throttle tube, it started to shear the new one the same as the stock one) I filed down the piece in the housing that was sticking out, and that sollved the issue...

...so now I went to start the bike. It starts and revs, but wont stay running and seems to backfire. I have taken oldschools advice and ordered some new jets to try and dial it all in properly, is there other things I can do to get this even closer to rideable? It sucks to order something expensive and brand new, and not be able to ride it yet.....but im patient:mad: ....sometimes..

anyway, just looking for ideas - also noticed that if you just bump the throttle cable itself (like near the handlebars) it revs the bike.....that sensitive?

So, as most of you know, just got a new SSR140TX and had an issue with the throttle tube being broken (turns out there was a metal shaving inside the throttle tube housing that was just barely sticking out (manufacturing defect) so when I bought a CR style throttle tube, it started to shear the new one the same as the stock one) I filed down the piece in the housing that was sticking out, and that sollved the issue...

...so now I went to start the bike. It starts and revs, but wont stay running and seems to backfire. I have taken oldschools advice and ordered some new jets to try and dial it all in properly, is there other things I can do to get this even closer to rideable? It sucks to order something expensive and brand new, and not be able to ride it yet.....but im patient:mad: ....sometimes..

anyway, just looking for ideas - also noticed that if you just bump the throttle cable itself (like near the handlebars) it revs the bike.....that sensitive?

I know what you mean. My SSR150TX has been the same way. the throttle housing on mine won't even come together because it was cut so bad:rant: Among MANY other things on the bike that is junk.

But you might want to check and make sure that the pin that holds the slide strait in the carb is still there. I went to adjust the needle on mine and it was gone!:):D

Positively make sure that the Slide is going all the way to the bottom of the carb (bottoming out) and as Free has mentioned make sure the slide is in properly and the side lines up with the Pin in the barrel.

with just a bit of throttle play (in the cable)

play with the air screw no more than 1 & 1/2 to 2 turns out...its a Royal "PITA" but its got to be done Air (fuel screw) under the carburetor