Sign in to follow this  

Adapting 110 for better MX suitability (for a kid)?

My 8 year old still isn't tall enough for a KX65 (but he's WAY too tall for his XR50). He likes riding at our local motocross tracks a lot more than when I take him into the woods all day. I'm thinking I'll grab this or the TT-R110 and when he's tall enough (and a better rider) maybe grab a KX65 or similar on the used market, keeping this 110 for my wife, who wants to learn to ride.

That said, is there anything I can do that will improve the 110's track performance? Would different tires and suspension bring diminishing returns?

This is to be a kid's bike, so I'm not going to pit-bike it out -- just looking to do anything I can that will help him improve his abilities doing what he likes best (MX). We won't be racing it, so bleeding edge improvements to make him more competitive isn't a concern.

Thanks!

I would get a fox air shock so its soft enough for him then when he gets bigger you can make it stiffer. Also get a air filter also some bars. Like some klx110 bend from pro taper.

- Get rid of those OEM tires if you haven't already . :)

- A good after-market shock is in order for an agressive riding style !

- Heavy weight oil fork oil will also help alittle .

- Heavy duty fork springs will also help if he's bottoming them out alot .

A good aftermarket rear shock and a set of KX60 forks. The KX60 forks will bolt in and use the KLX110 front wheel and give you about 1.5 more inches of clearance in the front.

Other than that jet the bike and ride it.

I agree. Get an aftermarket shock and do a little work on the forks or replace them. If the longer suspension makes it too tall just trim the seat down.

you can really trick out the front forks simply by getting stiffer springs(90$) and get the two brothers dampining rods(70$) witch will give you an extra inch of travel, youd have to move the forks up an inch in the triple tree, then get a works shock (240$)(they set it up custum for the weight of the rider) then get pro taper bars 50 bend unless he's small then get the 110 bend cause there a little shorter. put longer bolts in the footpeg mount if he's gonna jump it cause they can tear out and destroy the cases. i did this to mine and i weigh 205. this cheap setup works really good!!!