Sign in to follow this  

08 KTM 300 XC for MX??

Need some opinions wondering if this will be a good MX bike with some mods to it of course?

MXA tested the XC with the electric starter kit installed and said it was a good overall bike and would work for MX but may need suspension mods for the larger hits.

:)

Why the XC? It'll work fine, but there are others that are better for mx.

such as what? im not to familiar with all of the million models ktm offers haha

MX Action also liked it better and said it was faster then the 250 SX.

The article was on their site but I can't locate it.

id rather ride the 300xc on an mx track than the 250sx. the 300 is both fast reving and wickedly fast like a 2 stroke but smooth and tractable like a 4 stroke. its a 3 stroke!!!! haha. i think it is the best overall motor ever. id get it and just change suspension for ur preferences.

i have the article scanned. if you pm me i will email to you.

pm sent will post up once i put in photobucket! thnx i agree i read that a few times bou the 3stroke hah

I've read that article before.......I take my 300 to the track sometimes and I like it, but there are better mx bikes......

The 300's tank is really big and bulky and the suspension in stock form won't handle hard hits. If you come up short on a big jump, OUCH! For medium sized jumps (50' +or-), it works good as long as you don't mess up too bad and it soaks up a lot of the acceleration and braking bumps. The stock seat has a saddle shape in it. So it's more difficult to move around on. I had a CRF250R before the 300 and it was better on the tracks. MX bikes are real narrow and have stiff suspension to soak up hard landings which you probably already know.

If you're a slower mx'er and/or just want to play ride, the XC will be fine in stock trim. If you're wanting be competitive in mx or are fast, then I would get a mx bike.

I race offroad and play on mx tracks. The stock suspension works out great for me. I sprung it up a little for my weight, but left the stock valving alone. I don't hit large jumps (usually) and I rarely bottom the suspenders out. I'm not that fast either (Vet B rider).

The 2 stroke mx'er that I like is the YZ250. I've never rode a newer SX250 yet, but I think I would like them as well.

Yeah i have 08 ktm 250sx and yz250 2strokes but wonderin if a 300 xc would be worth a trade for MX but i see what u mean with the extra weight of tank i didnt think of that wonderin now to convery present 250sx into a 300?

i bet u could take off the 300s woodsy stuff and make it more mx suitable as well, for example: take off the kickstand and add an sx fuel tank for the slimmer feel of the sx bike

i bet u could take off the 300s woodsy stuff and make it more mx suitable as well, for example: take off the kickstand and add an sx fuel tank for the slimmer feel of the sx bike

Guys...there is a reason (besides marketing) KTM has so many flavors of dirt bikes.

If money is not a problem then buy a 300, spend time and money to make it what you think it should be.

OR....you can buy the bike made specifically with an intended purpose, spend less time and money and tweak it to perfection.

The SX is a purpose-built bike specifically designed with big-jump MX action as its focus. There are trade-off's for zeroing in on a specific application.

A 300XC is a ragingly awsome machine and it does many thing well...including a little track action...but it is not an SX. Nor would the SX be the first choice for zipping down a woods trail.

And unless you are a 10/10th's MX-er, you won't be winning more races because you're on a 300XC vs. a 250SX.:)

-Jay

:D

such as what? im not to familiar with all of the million models ktm offers haha

The 300 has nothing on the SX on the track. 15+ lbs lighter, basically the same HP, 250 revs quicker...:)

You can turn the 250 into a 300 easily, and it's more than most mortals can handle. there's some threads on ktmtalk about it.

I think the 300XC with suspension to suit would be an MX weapon. Especially in Vets or some other class where capacity is open

The SX suspension isn't all that great, most people have a revalve done anyways. Just get the suspension done on the XC and you'll have a better mx bike. The smooth pulling power would be great for the track, very easy to ride and light.

I have a 2008 250SX, ported and FC suspension. My friend has an '08 300XC.

I much prefer my chassis. I MUCH prefer his motor.

I suspect that you can easily buy the 250SX for $1000 or more LESS than the 300 because the 300s are in such high demand and the 250s are not. Then you can just buy a complete 300 top end for about $1400 and bolt it onto your 250 and you would have the ultimate MX machine. You could sell your 250 stuff to offset your costs. Basically that 300 is as tractable and easy to ride as a smooth 450 4stroke but it weighs 25# less.

The 250SX has pretty good suspension stock. I'm just now getting my FC suspension to work as well as the stock stuff was.

The 300 suspension was hopeless. I only weigh 177# and I was bottoming my friend's 300 on the rough straightaways. Plus, I hate the electric starter, how stupid is that.

I wish before I had ported my 250 cylinder I had just bought the 300 top end instead. There is no replacement for displacement.

I have a 2008 250SX, ported and FC suspension. My friend has an '08 300XC.

I much prefer my chassis. I MUCH prefer his motor.

I suspect that you can easily buy the 250SX for $1000 or more LESS than the 300 because the 300s are in such high demand and the 250s are not. Then you can just buy a complete 300 top end for about $1400 and bolt it onto your 250 and you would have the ultimate MX machine. You could sell your 250 stuff to offset your costs. Basically that 300 is as tractable and easy to ride as a smooth 450 4stroke but it weighs 25# less.

The 250SX has pretty good suspension stock. I'm just now getting my FC suspension to work as well as the stock stuff was.

The 300 suspension was hopeless. I only weigh 177# and I was bottoming my friend's 300 on the rough straightaways. Plus, I hate the electric starter, how stupid is that.

I wish before I had ported my 250 cylinder I had just bought the 300 top end instead. There is no replacement for displacement.

did your friend install the E start after he got it, or does he have the W?

did your friend install the E start after he got it, or does he have the W?

That's what I was going to say too. The '08 XC didn't come with an e-button. The W did and has much softer suspenders on it.