Sign in to follow this  

idle rpm

How do ya know what rpm your at to set the idle.

What's the target idle rpm?

I raised it up but it takes a little time to come down when you let off the gas.

It could be a problem in the woods. I know I could just lower it some ...but I would like to have it set correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

1850- RPM

you want close to that- to avoid the autodecomp kicking in-

I guess you get an ear for what souds right and how it performs- also the idle adjustment effects the Pilot circuit and how well that is adjusted. If you change one often you have to change the other- that's why a extended fuel screw is such a good thing- On my bikes, they can motor around in first gear hand off throttle ideling and not stumble- yet the idle is not racing-

sounds like you have a hanging idle- maybe lean on pilot screw- or the slide is open too far (idle adjustment)

See Carb 101 for more details:thumbsup:

1850- RPM

you want close to that- to avoid the autodecomp kicking in-

I guess you get an ear for what souds right and how it performs- also the idle adjustment effects the Pilot circuit and how well that is adjusted. If you change one often you have to change the other- that's why a extended fuel screw is such a good thing- On my bikes, they can motor around in first gear hand off throttle ideling and not stumble- yet the idle is not racing-

sounds like you have a hanging idle- maybe lean on pilot screw- or the slide is open too far (idle adjustment)

See Carb 101 for more details:thumbsup:

Yeah I think I have the idle open to far also. Will the fuel screw that TT sells

fit in my in my carb ? I believe it's an fcr carb.

Thanks

I recommend pulling your pilot jet and checking for any blockage. A bit of dirt or varnish in the pilot can cause the hanging idle symptoms you describe and will also mean you have to adjust the idle way high to keep it from stalling. I just went through this a few weeks ago.

As mentioned above could also be a lean pilot jet. But if the idled OK in the past and is acting up now I bet the pilot jet is partially blocked and thus acting like a smaller, leaner jet.

And yes a hanging idle is awful on slow trails, really messes with your ability to use compression braking for fine control of speed.