Sign in to follow this  

2008 WR450 vs 2007 Ninja 500R?

My buddy has an 07 Ninja 500, i have an 08 WR450. Who would win in a drag race, not that we are going to race, but just curious. :D

His bike is BONE stock. My bike is has all free mods done, and is re-jetted.

I think up to 60MPH, i have him beat. I know he would run away after that, due to gearing.

What's everybody think??? :)

The 500 is approx. 388 dry and the WR is 248 per the manufacturerers. The streeter holds way more fuel, so for the sake of consistency, I'm using dry weights.

The 500 has as bit more torque, but it also has more weight to get moving. But, street tires hook up better. So, the 500 would likely get a slight better start.

They 500 is approx. 51 hp and your WR with those mods is probably 48. So, the 500 has 7.6lbs. to move for each horsepower and the WR 5.16. So, the WR does have an advantage in the hp/weight ratio.

My gut tells me the WR would pull the 500 for about 1-2 10ths of a mile and the streeter would then pull away slowly to its top end of approx. 120.

Of course, this is considering comparable riders and boths bikes running properly.

That's my stinky opinion. Of course, gearing wasn't considered, so that can make a huge diff and so can tires.

I dont think it would be a blowout, but i do think the WR would get the jump and be faster to 50 then the ninja. I should put super moto rims / tires on and then race him for the cost of the rims / tires. :)

Ok, he also forgot to mention that he is like 6'2" 250lbs, and I am a svelt 5'9 170. My street bike would smoke his ass. Plus the fact that he would have to shift wayyyy more times than I would, as I could get up to 60 in 2nd, while he would have to get to at least 4th gear.

:)

In my younger days I remember when a motorcycle magazine raced a CR500 against a 500 Interceptor. They put street tires on both, and geared up the CR some. In any kind of short drag race, the CR won hands down probably due to its lighter weight & better power/weight ratio.

The Interceptor began catching it after a certain point due to better street gearing, and less wind resistance.

My street bike would smoke his ass. Plus the fact that he would have to shift wayyyy more times than I would, as I could get up to 60 in 2nd, while he would have to get to at least 4th gear.

:)

His bike is designed to go from 0-60 and to do it hella fast. That is the entire purpose behind that motor and gear box. Having to shift two more times isn't a disadvantage, and these bikes can do near full throttle shifts (not great for them, but they will do it). While he is on the bike banging through gears, you will spend more time outside of your peak power range.

I think the WR has the street bike beat until it tops out. It may be close, but my money is on the WR assuming he can keep the front end down.

I would put my money on the WR until it tops out too with equal riders that is.