Front wheel "bounce" on pavement

I've recently made my '05 450 EXC street legal. I've noticed when i ride on pavement, my front wheel has a bounce (doesn't leave the ground, but shakes the front end), most noticable @ 50km/h (30miles/h). It happens about every 2-3 seconds at this speed. The front wheel is about 3mm off true. Not enough to make the wheel bounce i figure.

The front wheel never used to do this on pavement. My front tire is worn pretty good, would this allow the wheel to bounce? And if so, would rotating the tire (which is directional) make a difference? There is no play in the stearing stem and the rotor is pretty much true (rubs a tiny bit).

Thanks, Iain

My '07 does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's because of the rim lock. Next tire change I do I'm going to remove it and see if it helps. I run high enough pressure that I should be OK without it. Another dude I ride with has his balanced but ends up with ALOT of lead weights stuck to his wheel.,

put the same amount of lead as the rim lock weighs on the opposite side, approx 4 oz should do it. A worn tire can also cause this as well.

Ok, I'm guessing it is the worn tire because it did not bounce before, and it does now. If it were a weight thing, it would have done it before aswell, i would think.

Rim locks, are they really necessary on the front tire?

Front rim locks are 2.5oz. Rears are about 4oz.

Ok, I'm guessing it is the worn tire because it did not bounce before, and it does now. If it were a weight thing, it would have done it before aswell, i would think.

Yes and no. As the tire wears, you'll have a high spot and it gets progressively worse until your situation occurs. Check your tread depth all the way around the tire.

I think so. When you brake hard on hard packed surfaces, the tire can spin.

I usually run 1 in the front and 2 in the rear and then balance them.

IMO keep the rim lock on there. And you should balance the wheel/tire/tube combo and rebalance whenever you change tires. It is quick and easy to do a static balance using either a proper balancing stand or even just a thin metal rod held horizontal in a vice.

Only if you use the front brake- no really- You will rip your valve stem from your tube no matter what presure you use (and running high presures in knobbies is counter productive)- I have seen many guys learn this 20 miles from the truck- not fun cool or cheap-

run 2 to balence or get some lead stick ons or press ons around the spoke-