Sign in to follow this  

08 rm250 vs 08 yz250????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

i need to know what is the better bike after a few engine mods. i would like to know (most impotantly) how much better does the rm handle than the yz, and how do the engines compare. i have a yamaha dealer about 10 minutes and a suzuki dealer about 45 minutes from us so what do you think is the better choise. the downfall is its alot harder to make a bike handle better than make a bike faster.:)

Support the brand that is still producing their 2 strokes. (Yamaha)

Katooms are a good choice too. You may should ride the YZ and SX back to back to make a good decision on the one that fits your style and makes you the most comfortable.

gee, we've been thru this thing bajillion times over :ride:

ok, as i'm already tired of givin' personal opinions, let's just quote MXA

for 2008, MXA verdict was on the best 250 2-stroke:

No. 1 - YZ250, for having the best engine, gearing, clutch, suspension, and the only aluminum frame amongst the entries :):D

No. 2 - RM250, for being the best-handling bike in the class, which the yellow bike is notoriously known for :worthy:

No. 3 - 250SX, you just guess why... haha! :banghead:

on a hindsight, my other dream bikes in order of priority would be the following:

1. 2009 husky WR125, because they look so spankin' cool and owning one would be like owning a gem! :banghead:

2. 2008 or 2009 YZ125, because undoubtedly, it is the best 125, and yami keeps on updating it more often than the YZ250.

3. 2006 RM250, because it was the best RM250 ever produced where carmichael had so much inputs to it. it was only the YZ250 that provided stiff competition to this bike as being the best 250 2T that year. the RM250 won the opinions of MXA and motoXmag UK magazines, while the YZ250 got the nod of TWMX, cycleworld, dirt rider, and racerX magazines.

how about a katoom? never did i ever liked those off-center rear suspension-equipped insect-looking bikes! :banghead:

They are both great bikes. I do think RM's handle better, but I would probably get the best deal, you wont be disappointed with either. They are both going to have plenty of aftermarket parts to choose from.

+1 on the WR125, if and only if it has more bottom end than your average 1-2-5.

Katooms are a good choice too. You may should ride the YZ and SX back to back to make a good decision on the one that fits your style and makes you the most comfortable.

Without a doubt that is the best way to come to a conclusion. I was fortunate enough to ride my 07 250sx and another guys 07 yz250 before buying. I chose the KTM hands down. The YZ was heavier, had a broader but less inspiring power delivery and it felt like a sofa. It was a great bike but the bike I chose what was much better for me. Unfortunately my friend Jace wasn't as fortunate to ride my bike back to back vs his 07 YZ250 before purchasing and regretted buying the YZ and he wished he got the KTM. He rode my bike box stock with horrible jetting and suspension settings. He never did ride it jetted and fully set up.

Ive heard the things that KTM did to the 08 engine screwed it up. The only big difference between the 07/08 was the intact tract was modified. For some reason a lot of people said that was the wrong thing to do because they had the engine dialed for my year and the 08 was lacking. :)

YZ. My friend. I am extremely biased on that topic. But you should support Yamaha so they continue to produce the YZ250. Suzuki no longer makes the RM and the YZ's fate is determined by it's sales figures.

Without a doubt that is the best way to come to a conclusion. I was fortunate enough to ride my 07 250sx and another guys 07 yz250 before buying. I chose the KTM hands down. The YZ was heavier, had a broader but less inspiring power delivery and it felt like a sofa. It was a great bike but the bike I chose what was much better for me. Unfortunately my friend Jace wasn't as fortunate to ride my bike back to back vs his 07 YZ250 before purchasing and regretted buying the YZ and he wished he got the KTM. He rode my bike box stock with horrible jetting and suspension settings. He never did ride it jetted and fully set up.

Was the YZ you rode box stock or was it jetted and suspended too?