In boot ankle brace

On Saturday I sprained my ankle pretty bad while riding. I went shooting up a sandy uphill, pinged off a rock and it shot me to the left side of the trail, went off the trail about a foot or two and, this is what I think happened, I leaned the bike to the right to try to get it back on the trail, my left foot came off the peg to counter balance (imagine it, it'll make sense if you visualize) and my foot/toe clipped a tree and my ankle turned to the left/counter clockwise (not like a standard ankle roll) I'm not sure how/why my foot moved in my boot, but I guess I'd rather deal with a sprained ankle than reconstructive knee surgery.

I have an aircast from a previous sprain (different ankle) but I'm trying to look into options for more coverage when I go back to riding and active things. Can anyone recommend a good brace that I would be able to wear inside my boot comfortably?

...for those of you who just love photos...

Outside of foot

2104561360036727308S600x600Q85.jpg

Inside of foot

2883280950036727308S600x600Q85.jpg

Side by side

2042503580036727308S600x600Q85.jpg

Ouch! Looks painful. I'm just coming off of a total ankle reconstruction after a slow speed get-off in March. After a ton of research I settled on the Donjoy Velocity brace. It's used by a lot of moto-x'ers and fits well inside of a moto boot, assuming your swelling has gone down and your foot/ankle is almost back to normal. I still have some slight swelling at times but I'm still able to get the brace inside my boot and ride all day and feel confident on it.

Good luck and heal well.

Ouch! Looks painful. I'm just coming off of a total ankle reconstruction after a slow speed get-off in March. After a ton of research I settled on the Donjoy Velocity brace. It's used by a lot of moto-x'ers and fits well inside of a moto boot, assuming your swelling has gone down and your foot/ankle is almost back to normal. I still have some slight swelling at times but I'm still able to get the brace inside my boot and ride all day and feel confident on it.

Good luck and heal well.

Thanks, I've seen the velocity on the DonJoy site and its one of the main ones up for consideration. I was just hoping to hear some more opinions to look into more options. I think the one I wore when I played soccer (way back in the day) would not be comfy in a full boot setting so I'm try to see what's all out there...though I'm sure it will be a few weeks before I manage to get back on the bike. ?

Funny, I have almost those exact pictures of my own foot from a couple months ago. I have been using the lace up type, much like the Donjoy Velocity brace, that volleyball players use, and taking out the plastic insert. Should be able to find one for about $30. works great. That being said I am having to go for physio to try and break down the scar tissue around the outside of the ankle as I still do not have full movement up or down

I can move mine up and down, just no turning left or right. I should be getting my new insurance cards in a week, if I still have serious concern or once the swelling is down things don't look right, I'll probably go get it xray'd

After I broke my ankle I wore an EVS ankle brace forever. Just for added protection. I haven't worn one for about a year now. About a year ago I switched to Fox boots and they have so much ankle support that wearing my brace was actually too much. I couldn't move my foot at all. So I stopped wearing the brace.

After I broke my ankle I wore an EVS ankle brace forever. Just for added protection. I haven't worn one for about a year now. About a year ago I switched to Fox boots and they have so much ankle support that wearing my brace was actually too much. I couldn't move my foot at all. So I stopped wearing the brace.

I saw that on their site but wasn't sure about it. Almost looked bulky and its not specific for right or left foot (might not be an issue but just noticed that)

The one I used felt good inside my boots. They are for either foot. The new ones however have a strap that does look bulky. With some adjustments of your boot straps I'm sure it would fit fine.

Just out of curiousity what boots are you wearing?

Good luck and I hope ou have a speedy recovery.

The one I used felt good inside my boots. They are for either foot. The new ones however have a strap that does look bulky. With some adjustments of your boot straps I'm sure it would fit fine.

Just out of curiousity what boots are you wearing?

Good luck and I hope ou have a speedy recovery.

Alpinestar Tech 7's ?

I thought I had my boots on properly/tightened, the buckle that does the most to hold your heel in was almost impossible to buckle when I first put them on. I guess when I stop for the first few times in a ride I need to tighten all the buckles down some more once my foot settles into the boot. Maybe some heel cups to take up the extra space in my heel and keep it from moving up and down. Stupid midget sized feet... (mens 5 boots)

I wear a pair of ankle socks inside my riding socks to help take up space. I wear a size 10 boot, but a 9 1/2 shoe and a 9 boot is too tight.

Tech 7's are pretty good boots, but not the best ankle protection. I think a brace will work well in those boots. You might try the Fox Women's Comp 5 boots. They look like they offer about the same protection as the mens F-3 boots, which is what I wear.

I wear a pair of ankle socks inside my riding socks to help take up space. I wear a size 10 boot, but a 9 1/2 shoe and a 9 boot is too tight.

Tech 7's are pretty good boots, but not the best ankle protection. I think a brace will work well in those boots. You might try the Fox Women's Comp 5 boots. They look like they offer about the same protection as the mens F-3 boots, which is what I wear.

I tried them on and they felt so uncomfortable. I have short feet but those things felt like they were made for little Geisha girls or something. The toe box was the strangest feeling in a boot, ever. We need a new version of the Stella Tech's out! I couldn't get them when I tried to order them at the time. And the guy at the Indy Dealer show said they were working on a new model with the new style sole and everything. I'll see how the heel cups and ankle brace do when I get back to riding before I dump the boots. I just got them the beginning of the season and I don't get to ride THAT much so other than being a little muddy right now they are practically new.

Can't blame you there. I think you'll be happy with an ankle brace and the Tech 7's. No sense buying new boots if yours are still good. If your foot has room in your boot you may find with the ankle brace(especially the EVS AB05) your boots fit better. 661 is probably a good one also. Their Race Brace is practically identical to my old EVS brace. Good luck!