Sign in to follow this  

Truck Bed Rails/Racks for 3 bikes

I know Universal makes the Sampson rack, but I saw another one in a magazine that I can't find now. I want to use it in my 3500HD and I want to be able to load 3 bikes without the bars and stuff rubbing with each other.

I saw one in a magine that was more adjustable than the Universal, does anyone know any other brands? I seen one in the TT store called Box Bars.

Rocky Mtn has the Universal and the SPS rack.

The one in the magazine was adjustable.

If anyone has one of the above, or anything similar, or knows any adjustable ones please chime in. Thanks.

The bed buddy has a 60" model and the construction looks a tad better

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/bed-buddy-tie-down.htm

This system seems a tad expensive

http://www.discountramps.com/truck-wheel-chock.htm

The rail I'm looking for is like the Utilitrac, but no Nissan exclusive.

http://www.joehauler.com/bedbuddy/bedbuddy.shtml

So far I think the Universal one is best bang per buck. They have black and white.

http://www.universalmotocross.com/products_transport.html

Why spend the money. Just put your 2 bikes in, 1 either side of the bed, strapped w/ the front tire tight to the front of the bed. Put the 3rd bike in the middle w/ your bike stand between the front tire and the front of the bed and strap down. I do this all the time w/out bikes/bars rubbing. I don't see the need to buy anything you guys have posted. My truck bed does have mounting brackets at the front of the bed as standard, I guess if your truck doesn't you would need those bars.

MAX!!!

Besides the additional mounting points, the thing reinfirces the front of the truck's bed. I've seen a few bent once from the front wheel of a bike.

The part I like even better is the tie down hook that's in the center of a bed bar, so that I don't have to run straps through or over a wheel.

I made one from a piece of Kindorf or unistrut, bolted 3 pieces of 3"channel to it

I'll try to get a pic posted (all scraps from a job site):)

I don't like the way my tire ripps up the coating on the front plus I do not have middle mounting points.

If I did things would be better.

Damn thats a nice bar, you got some talent. Sadly I got neither the skills nor tools for such a task.

Why spend the money. Just put your 2 bikes in, 1 either side of the bed, strapped w/ the front tire tight to the front of the bed. Put the 3rd bike in the middle w/ your bike stand between the front tire and the front of the bed and strap down. I do this all the time w/out bikes/bars rubbing. I don't see the need to buy anything you guys have posted. My truck bed does have mounting brackets at the front of the bed as standard, I guess if your truck doesn't you would need those bars.

MAX!!!

Romster beat me to it:

Besides the additional mounting points, the thing reinfirces the front of the truck's bed. I've seen a few bent once from the front wheel of a bike.

Eventually, from the force of the bikes being pulled against the box front, it's going to bend.

Frankie - how did you attach the unistrut to the bed?

I assume you drilled 3 holes through your the front wall of your bed and slapped some bolts through the holes but I can't see how you could place a nut on the backside of the bolt since there is little clearance between the bed and the cab.

Know what I mean?

Thanks for the pic though. Gas for you!!

There was a nice one in MX action, but for $199. Forget that.

I want to make the middle bike offset.

Frankie - how did you attach the unistrut to the bed?

I assume you drilled 3 holes through your the front wall of your bed and slapped some bolts through the holes but I can't see how you could place a nut on the backside of the bolt since there is little clearance between the bed and the cab.

Know what I mean?

Thanks for the pic though. Gas for you!!

Believe it or not, I got my porky fingers in there to start the nut with my son in the bed turning the socket. I only used 2 mounting bolts on the outer edges.

As far as off setting the middle bike, just weld a piece of tubing to the chanel as long as you need, capping the end other end so you can bolt it to the strut.

One of the best ways to haul 3 bikes in a short bed or long bed pickup is to load the first two bikes with the handle bars turned to have the front tires touching at the center of the front of the bed. Your tie downs will work with the stock anchor points in the bed and will not rub any plastic. Next, load the third bike with it's front tire into the V or onto the first two bikes front tires. The front fender will go over the crossed tie downs, and this bike will tie in also with no tie down problems. I forgot to mention to scoot the rear tires of the first two bikes outward until they are as far apart as possible, If you are hauling 2 bikes in a shortbed, you can still shut the bed if done properly. 3 bikes will fit with the tail gate shut if the last one is a minibike or smaller. It is still nice to have a bar to strengthen the front of the bed on today's thin bedded trucks.....I learned this method from Guy Cooper and his brother Chuck and it has made life easier ever since.

I made my own and it has worked great for the last few years. I didn't make a provision for a bike in the middle but when I haul 3 bikes I just use my stand to space the center bike towards the rear.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

I have one and it is well worth the money!!!! I have the center middle piece as well and haul 3 bikes easily. We recently bought a Damon Outlaw RV and trade our truck in and keep the Mount. I am thinking about putting up for sale.

I know Universal makes the Sampson rack, but I saw another one in a magazine that I can't find now. I want to use it in my 3500HD and I want to be able to load 3 bikes without the bars and stuff rubbing with each other.

I saw one in a magine that was more adjustable than the Universal, does anyone know any other brands? I seen one in the TT store called Box Bars.

Rocky Mtn has the Universal and the SPS rack.

The one in the magazine was adjustable.

If anyone has one of the above, or anything similar, or knows any adjustable ones please chime in. Thanks.