Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 SMR as a DD??

Alright, I searched, read some stuff....but I still have questions...

1) As a DD, would this bike be capable of pulling a 25 mile commute one way (mind you it's all city/back roads; top speeds of 65ish because of my wrist, not the limit lol)

2) As a DD, and properly maintained by the book, how reliable are these bikes....aka can I expect to get 5,000 in before it needs a valve job?

3) Average MPG by chance, and also what type of range can I expect on a tank of gas

4) Tire life..how long can I expect before it'll need new rubbers...I know it depends greatly on how its road, but 100% of the riding will be spirited commuting/pleasure riding on back roads....absolutely zero track time (as there are none around:cry: )

I'm looking into a 2005 450.....it's clean, and I want something....I've got $$ burning a hole in my pocket, I've rode dirt my whole life, and want a street ride with character...I don't mind pulling a wrench either (worked as an auto tech for years, now an engineer).....I was looking into buells, but can't find anything in my price range.....this I can pick up for 4500, make street legal, and I'm good to go (plus it'll be a riot to ride).....

Thanks,

Chris

it's a race bike, not a street bike, so know what you're getting into. Plan for weekly oil changes and bi-weekly valve adjustments. I had one for a short time as a track/race bike, and they're awesome, but I wouldn't dream of owning one as a commuter.

they don't like droning at a constant speed. gas mileage and range will be poor compared to something like a drz/sm610/smc. you should be able to get 2-3000 miles or more from a set of pilot powers or comparable tires.

by the way, if you're located in MI, there's tons on tracks around.

It would be a novelty whose time would certainly come. The oil capacity of the high-output 450's is very small, so they really need frequent oil changes. You can actually get larger case covers that increase your oil capacity. I don't know if you'd really have to change it weekly, it depends on how long you want it to last.

I had a 2005 SMC and it was fun on the road (I'd put my ducati plate on it and rip it around with slicks and everything, I had an EXC headlight the was not wired and a taillight that was not wired up I'd throw on).

If it's a 6-speed it will go 85, so 65 is not a big deal...

How dedicated to the cool factor are you? :)

Im in the process of streeting my 05 smr. Work commutes of 13 miles and the occasional cruise with my streeted cr450 buddy is all shes planned for

it's a race bike, not a street bike, so know what you're getting into. Plan for weekly oil changes and bi-weekly valve adjustments. I had one for a short time as a track/race bike, and they're awesome, but I wouldn't dream of owning one as a commuter.

they don't like droning at a constant speed. gas mileage and range will be poor compared to something like a drz/sm610/smc. you should be able to get 2-3000 miles or more from a set of pilot powers or comparable tires.

+1 on everything. You'd be better to pick up a DRZ and use any left over money for some mods. Sure, it won't be as fast as the 450, but the fun factor should be pretty darn close. MUCH better reliability too.