Sign in to follow this  

FCR reliabilty?

I've been seriously thinking about adding a FCR to my scooter but I've noticed that there have been many threads on here from people having problems with them. Almost very time I visit there is a new post about a problem with a FCR. Are these just setup problems or do these carbs require constant attention? I'm pretty happy with my dynojetted Mikuni but I could always use something better but not at the cost of reliability. Opinions welcomed!

the threads have nothing to do with reliability.

id say 99% are installer induced issues.

as long as you read and understand the fcr write up in the FAQ section,its a breeze.

post the links that you are refering to and im happy to explain them.

Thanks Eddie and William! That's what I wanted to hear! I would have no problem installing an FCR and making it work but I do alot of riding by myself in some remote areas and the last thing I need is to be stuck out in the mountains with carb problems. I now know what my next project is gonna be.

adding a FCR to my scooter

Dang a scooter with a FCR now that would be fast.

Ruckus.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist. :):D:worthy::ride:

I have heard the stock carb is better for varying altitudes. Any fact to that? I will ride from sea level to 5000 feet or the ocean to the hi desert mountains

In my experience the FCR is WAYYYY better at handling different altitudes. My stock carb ran great at 1000ft, crap at 6000ft, and barely at 8000+ft. I've had my FCR from sea level to 10K in the same day, and it ran great the whole time.

I may very well be wrong here but I don't think any of the two carbs handle altitude variations better or worse. It simply needs to be setup correctly for your elevation.

If you are jetted slightly lean, it may seem like it handles higher altitudes better. If you are slightly rich, it won't.

I think there are more factors than just a type of carb contributing to the perceived "improvement".

The issue I had with my FCR, ended up being needle position & AP Timing Screw. The needle was not a problem (I went from 3rd to 4th Clip Position), but the Bog right off throttle was driving me NUTS, until William recommended I turn the AP Timing Screw. That worked & the FCR is well worth it....

I'm new to the collective but I have found only one problem so far, fuel mileage,LOL, I'm having so much fun twisting the throttle with my FCR equipped 400SM that I can't get more than 45/48 MPG. Not that I care actually. I have added the FCR, RS2, K&N, airbox mods, 38T rear sprkt. etc. and the bike is awesome. I have so much fun riding it now over stock that I will never go back the CV carb, chuck it and get the kit, you will not regret it. I fiddled with the CV & thought it was running pretty sweet but a well tuned FCR blows it away. I have over 3500 miles on it and no problems.

I have had no reliability issues with the FCR. I ride my FCR equipped DRZ everywhere. I have 100% confidence in the carb, enough to ride in very remote areas. If any thing a well jetted FCR has less issues than the stock Mikuni. There is no vacuum issues with the FCR.

I have heard the stock carb is better for varying altitudes. Any fact to that? I will ride from sea level to 5000 feet or the ocean to the hi desert mountains

CV carbs adjusting for altitude is an internet myth. :)

With Eddie's spot on FCR jetting recommendations I ride from 5000-9000ft. The bike runs well across that range.

The FCR has more adjustments than the Mikuni and can be more of a pain to get right, but when set up properly will outperform and will give better mileage if driven accordingly. I bought a used one off of ebay from a 00 400 KTM and replaced enough parts and gaskets to make it not really worth it to buy used. But in the end after taking it on and off countless times, adjusting AP timing and duration, finding an incorrectly made pilot jet, slightly worn needle holder, and throttle plate, I finally got it just right. I love this FCR now. I would buy a new one from TT if doing it again, I saved nothing,cost me more in the end. Hope this helps:ride: vanram

i have more miles on my fcr than the stock bsr and have had zero issues with it so far.it starts and idles nicely all the time.the response and power can be relied on emphatically.like eddie says the beauty about them is every circuit is tunable and,there are more aftermarket tuning goodies to keep it that way.it's a quality piece of equipment.you'll get your money's worth out of it IMHO.