Sign in to follow this  

bottoming out...alot

Every time I land my forks seems to bottom out even if i land smoothly. I tried increasing the compression on the forks but then every time I jumped my front would shoot downwards and I would have to correct with alot of throttle, after I adjusted it back it stayed level while jumping but on the landings it would still bottom out. I didnt touch the shock compression so if I increase the fork compression as well as the shock compression will it stay level? When I did increase the compression on the forks it didnt bottom out so it solved that problem but im still left with the problem of it my front end downward.

you didn't mention which bike and your weight.

Make sure you have the right spring(s) for your weight.

The oil evel (oil quantity/airchamber) of the fork is - among others - responsible for bottoming.

So maybe somewhat more oil will help.

Sorry, its a yz250f and I weigh 145. I still have the stock springs and I think they would be fine for my weight. To add oil all I have to do is take off the top cap and pour oil in the outer chamber right?

For the amount of time it takes, I would change out the inner/outer chamber oils. Fresh oil will help out... And then you can dial the oil levels to your liking. More oil = stronger bottoming resistance and stiffer forks, less oil = plusher/softer forks but less bottoming resistance.

You can start at the OEM oil level and add 10 ccs or 5 ccs at a time though the air bleed holes to fight bottoming. And keep adding until you have it where you want it. Then remember the total oil volume for the forks so next time you change the oil you know how much to put in :)

yes you can. i use a turkey baster injector. pull out the air bleed valves. insert the needle with 10cc of oil in the syringe. push the oil in very little and pull back on the plunger and it will pull out the air inside. do this a couple of times and it will go pretty easy. also you didn't say if you adjusted the rebound. adjusting only one will not help. with no rebound the bike will nose over since its not reflecting off the face of the jump; it's only helping you on the landing. most of the time more than two click diffrence on each you will notice it in the air. hope that helps if not hopefully somebody with more know how will help you..

at 145, if your bottoming, something is amiss....Make sure your adjusting the correct adjuster, and if two clicks makes the front end dive...something is really up.

I have found a stiffer front end lends to the bike jumping nose high....not nose low....

On that bike, just to make sure, the compression adjuster is the top one on the forks..... rebound on bottom.

Your not too heavy for stock springs on that bike.