Sign in to follow this  

4-stroke Question - Hard to start?

Hi,

I've decided to make the jump to a YZ250. I believe that the YZ250F would be the best flavor for my needs (after much reading and hand wringing). But just as I was feeling pretty comfortable with the decision I ran across some posts and articles that described 4-strokes as "hard to start" when hot, or after a fall. The text seemed to deal with bikes up to about 04 or 05 - is this still the case? Are 4-strokes inherently boogers to start? I noticed, in the features section of the brochure that it has a "hot start" button - is it the "fix" for a dodgy starting system or what?

I'm coming off of a 2-stroke that never failed to start - thus I have little experience to draw on if I get a position where the bike won't start for me.

Thanks

Yeah, the four strokes we have, an 06 CRF250r (son's) and an 08 YZ250f (mine) can be, and have been hard to start when hot. It can be frustrating. I have at least found that my YZf when hot will usually start with a calm slow kick from top dead center, no throttle. A few times I have had to use the hot start. All that does is lean out the mixture when pulled.

I have found that the closer to perfect you can jet these 4t's the better off you are with starting, hot or cold.

There are things I really miss about the smokers. That's just one.:)

• Like 1

250Fs are more finicky than 450s when it comes to jetting and starting. My 450 starts firsts kick, and is easier to kick over than my last YZ250 was. But I do see a lot of peope having a tough time getting their 250Fs started in the heat of battle.

Thanks - that's discouraging news. I suppose you get used to it, and/or develop a fool-proof routine over time...

What concerns me a bit is that at 5'4 I can't straddle the bike. If I'm in a awkward position, like halfway up a hill, and need to start fast I could be in trouble! :)

Sooner or later that 4 $troke will piss you off starting.

If you've ridden a 2 stroke, I would revisit why you want to leave 2 strokes in the first place ( but I'm biased, lol )

I spent some time on a yzf 250, 05 I think, and to start it you had to have the throttle pinned or it needed to be bumped started.. My 450 kicks over in less than 5 kicks everytime..

That maqgic button on the ktm would be sweeeeeeet... I heard they shaved off some weight by replacing the kickstarter w/ estart.. go figure?

There is no doubt that the 250 is harder to start when stalling at high temp. The only thing I have found to work is to take off your helmet and cop a squat for some deep breathing exercises. I have been timing my crf250r with everything as fresh as could be on it and it is best to kick back for ten minutes then to kick yourself into :):D mood. Smell the grass or hopefully your under some shade and just try to let the short time to pass by.

I spent some time on a yzf 250, 05 I think, and to start it you had to have the throttle pinned or it needed to be bumped started.. My 450 kicks over in less than 5 kicks everytime..

I have an 05 YZ250F and it starts every time, hot or cold, in two kicks or less. I have the pilot, and fuel screw set perfectly, as well as the idle speed at a decent clip.

Cold, I do this:

Turn on gas

Turn on choke

Crack throttle two times

Gently push down the kick starter

Let it come back up, and then give it hell

Works every time. Hot I do almost the same, minus the first three steps. NEVER EVER touch the throttle on a hot, stalled four stroke, or you'll be changing the plug to get it started again.

2000 yz426 here, starts 1st or 2nd kick every time, hot or cold. There is a trick to 'em but nothing that can't be mastered fairly quickly. There are some videos somewhere on TT that I haven't seen myslef but others have said are very helpfull. Good luck!

I have an 05 YZ250F and it starts every time, hot or cold, in two kicks or less. I have the pilot, and fuel screw set perfectly, as well as the idle speed at a decent clip.

Cold, I do this:

Turn on gas

Turn on choke

Crack throttle two times

Gently push down the kick starter

Let it come back up, and then give it hell

Works every time. Hot I do almost the same, minus the first three steps. NEVER EVER touch the throttle on a hot, stalled four stroke, or you'll be changing the plug to get it started again.

That's the exact same way I kick my smoker too.

IMO, if you get caught on a hill and it stalls on either bike it ain't fun to kick again. If you're too cheap (like me) get some stall proof insurance (as well as amazing traction). A Rekluse auto clutch for the non e-start non trail specific motors (MX bikes). I've yet to stall it from poor riding habits OR a crash. You can literally only have to kick start your bike once - before you hit the trail if you don't kill the motor during any rest periods you might take.:)

That's the exact same way I kick my smoker too.

Yeah true I kick our 85 this way as well and it fires every time.

250_xc-fw.jpg

ebutton rocks... 250XCF-W

I know plenty that hate KTM, but screw the haters... KTM has off-road bikes wired. I LOVE my 450XCR-W. First KTM and likely not my last.

:)