Sign in to follow this  

To Veteran Members and Moderators

Hey all. I'm new here. I'm a recent convert two stroke rider...formerlly in the FMX business. Between serious injuries and not having the time to haul my bike places and most importantly, not having the drive to ride tracks anymore I sold my modified CR250. I would say top end wise, it had as much as my old 500 but the bottom and middle couldn't compare of course. So this thing ripped. I'm telling you this because I just purchased a '06 KLX 250s with 650 miles on it for $3100. I felt it to be quite a bargain. Now, I wasn't expecting it to rip, especially after reading all the feedback, and I can be satisified with its current power. The previous owner had bought a 13t and 12t along with the stock 14t front sprocket. It currently has the 12t on it now. Again, its fine the way it is but It wouldn't hurt to do some of the "free mods" I hear so much about.

Heres the problem. I have scoured the internet for at least the past two weeks. I have heard all about all of the free mods and and different pieces on how to do them.......but with one thing missing..... no specific detail! Usually when there is a subject of high discussion like this at a forum someone takes the initiative to make a "superpost" and include either all the info or all the links of good info on how to do things EXACTLY the way they should with SPECIFIC info and makes it a sticky thread. I mean...my word, there has to be a mod thread on every other line.

Some of the things I'm talking about is this. The Dyno Jet kit, people post a link from here to the TT store. Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but all I see are pilot jets and needles. I don't see a Dyno kit. Then I just recently saw a thread where a direct link to Dyno was post and it had every bike but the 06-08 KLX 250. It has the KLX 300, and the 09 KLX 250, but none of the others. I mean, what gives with that? So where exactly can one obtain one of these kits? And is it a complete bolt-on install-type deals...or is there additional modifying needed to put this in? I ask because I saw something about drilling the slide?

Another thing, the airbox and the crankcase vent? What EXACTLY do you do here? I've read a "how to" on Planet KLX or something I think?..........It's missing details! When I go to do something, espeically something important, like screwing up a several thousand dollar bike... I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. I have too much life experience for me to allow myself to do otherwise.

Moving on, the KLX 300 headpipe. What years of 300 fit the 250s? Do they just bolt right on like nothing or is there modification needed? I ask becuase I'm not going to spend alot of money buying one (espeically now that my pocket is empty) and find out I have to hack at my frame or something, because that ain't happenin'. Also, does it fit with the stock muffler? Because I'm riding this on the road and I want it street leagal so I want it emissions approved and quite. I hate loud 4 strokes, the low frequency sounds carry forever and through anything. Good way to get people mad at you.

I got the front sprocket taken care of...that truly is self explanatory.

I don't know if theres anything I'm missing or not, but I think you guys get the picture. I would just like someone to point me in the right direction as to how to go about these so I can squeeze a feeeeeeeeew more horses out of my bike and a bit more snap. The big bore kit can wait till theres more miles on it down the road :)

Other than that, excellent bike. I know some will bash me, but I like the 06-08's better than the 09's. They look more old KLR-ish. Like more road style. They appear lower and thinner, that cheaper looking swingarm. It's thinner and rounded. The rear mudflap thing is just gawd-awful. I do like the front half of the bike though....That I'll give it that its nicer than the older ones.

Also, does anyone else find the bars on these bikes to be about 1/2" - 1" too wide? I think I need to get out the sawz-all.

Take it easy guys...looking forward to much fun and posting here.

I've read here that the DJ kit for the 300 works fine on the 250. Installation includes increasing the diameter of the vacuum hole in the slide. Sometimes the needle is a little too big and you have to sand it down or open that hole too.

The head pipe apparently fits IF you use the stock 300 muffler.

The crankcase venting on the street legal 250's is undoubtedly different than the 300 on PlanetKLX. I'm sure a 250 owner will chime in.

I've read here that the DJ kit for the 300 works fine on the 250. Installation includes increasing the diameter of the vacuum hole in the slide. Sometimes the needle is a little too big and you have to sand it down or open that hole too.

The head pipe apparently fits IF you use the stock 300 muffler.

Thank you very much for your information. However, this is exactly what I mean though....vague information. For instance, which headpipe and which muffler? I assume you mean if you want to use a KLX 300 headpipe on a KLX250S you have to you the KLX 300's muffler as well??? Also, you neglected to mention an model years of the 300's fit the 250's. Not only that but your not even sure, you don't own one and its something you've heard. No offense intended, I hope your taking none to this. It's just that I'm trying to use your post (if I may) as an example as to what I'm talking about here.

Same goes for your comment on the jet kit. What years of the 300 jet kit fit what years of 250 carbs? Drill a hole,... what size? In an engine,trans, and carb, even the smallest incrament off will knock everything out of whack.

Again, sorry to sound so picky..but this is important information others are leaving out. I mean....yeah, I could go off of what I've read so far and wing it. But like I said, why should I do that and possibly ruin something and waste time, money, and frustration, when someone out here already knows how to do it?

And again, sorry if I sounded rude or picky and thank you for your input.

To make it simple, the KLX300 has always had the same pipe and muffler and carburetor, no changes, except for the "California" needle in the carb.

Ride on

Brewster

So if they're the same then why do people say to put a 300 headpipe on a 250?

We are saying to get the bigger aftermarket head pipe for the 300. It has to be used with the stock 300 can, any year. There is no advantage to using the stock 300 head pipe on the 250.

What difference does it make what size hole at this point? When you buy the kit the instructions will tell you. It even includes the bit. I was answering your question about it being simply a bolt on.

If you want so that much detail get on the phone to DynoJet and ask them.

All your questions have been answered here multiple times. I said "apparently" because I read it here but have not done it myself. The point of my vague response was to encourage you to spend YOUR time searching rather than expect someone else to spend his time typing the answer again.

It has to be used with the stock 300 can

Thank you. I understood the whole thing exept that one line. Is that a typo? It looks like you were going to continue to say something with "can" then the sentence ended.

What difference does it make what size hole at this point? When you buy the kit the instructions will tell you. It even includes the bit. I was answering your question about it being simply a bolt on.

LOL. What difference does it make?! Are you kidding me!? I would think that to be a pretty big deal. "hey lets just grab any ole size bit and start a drillin'. " And how was I to know the bit and the instructions came with the kit? That's why I'm asking these questions, I don't know this stuff. No one ever says it. It's like I said, people just say half of what goes on. I guess its human nature,........very poor human nature to "assume" everything and to give people bad instructions and directions. Almost 95% of all people do it.

If you want so that much detail get on the phone to DynoJet and ask them..

Yes, I can most certainly do that, but I figured it wouldn't be no thing for someone to just pop on here real quick and give me a fast simple answer. I can see I'll have to do that now, because now I have more questions. Such as, can you just put this kit in and run it straight? Or do you HAVE to take the lid off the airbox and the breather mod etc? Do you need a pipe? Jetting isn't a generalized thing, its very specific so I imagine that kind of stuff makes a difference, as does elevation. But I can see I'm probably not going to get those answers here so I'll have to get some free time and call them when they are open.

All your questions have been answered here multiple times. I said "apparently" because I read it here but have not done it myself. The point of my vague response was to encourage you to spend YOUR time searching rather than expect someone else to spend his time typing the answer again.

No my boy, they aren't. As you obviously didn't read I did about two weeks worth of searching everyday for hours at a time. Most of it on here reading page after page of information. And since you didn't catch it the first time, there are answers, but only half answers with what I consider to be very important pieces of information missing. Like you answered my 300 question about the pipe. How the heck is someone to know you need an aftermarket pipe and not a stock, from the context I read I was lead to believe it was a stock one. And not only that but any year will fit. And it also goes on to further prove my point someone needs to answer these questions and then put them in a sticky thread because it seems every couple days someone is starting a new thread asking about the mods on these bikes. Theres probably hundreds of these threads in the archives. If you make a sticky theres one and only one. If someone starts a new one because they can't take the time to read then a mod replys and says "read the stick" and locks the thread. End of story. But like I said, I can see I am wasting my time. If someone out there wants to answer my questions I and I'm sure others would greatly appreciate it, and if a mod would see it to make a sticky of this I'm sure it would be appreciated as well.

If I am not making sense will someone please point it out.... because I'm not seeing it here. I seem to be asking some pretty good questions and have already taken the proper preliminary actions already.

To make it simple, the KLX300 has always had the same pipe and muffler and carburetor, no changes, except for the "California" needle in the carb.

So if they're the same then why do people say to put a 300 headpipe on a 250?

I didn't mention the 250 in my statement, did I? It's ALL YEARS of the KLX300 that are the same, so you don't have to be concerned about what year the carb or exhaust comes from.

Ride on

Brewster

I looked at the dynojet web site and in the instructions it made no mention about drilling out the vaccuum port in the slide for the 2009 KLX250S. The drill bit that is included is to be used along with the self tapping screw to remove the cap over the mixture screw. If you read through the 2009 KLX250s ride report by Iowaguy (it's a lot of stuff to digest ) there is some good info to be had, but as you stated it would be alot easier to get complete info instead of bits and pieces regugitated from the masses. Take your head pipe off to give you better access to the breather inlet in the bottom of the air box. use the largest drill bit that will fit into the opening to open up the baffel. if you heat up the bit you won't have to drill the baffel out thus no shavings in the bottom of the airbox. This won't give you anymore hp but it will relieve excess pressure in the crankcase. I found on my ride home today that the bike would pull beyond 9k in 6th. something it hadn't done before. While you have the head pipe off grind out the ridge just inside the headpipe , that's where the collar is welded to the headpipe. It will smooth out the flow going into the pipe. This is something I learned from owning an '86 ATC 350X . Polaris performance used to sell a kit for the Predator that recomended drilling out the vaccuum port in the slide to 1/8" I haven't looked at the slide yet to see if that would be too large for this carb. You where also to take some coils out of the slide return spring but this has been address by the dynojet kit ( you get a new lighter spring) . So far I haven't done much to my bike , mostly because there aren't many parts out for it , at least not in the Midwest.

Brewster... you have my own quote in your post. It says that "people", as in all the threads and postings I've read, not you. But, since you brought it up...what else in the world would you be implying it to since this is a 250 thread and thats what the questions are pertaining to that I'm asking about? I am wanting..or should say DID want to know what KLX 300 pipe (if any) really does fit on the '06 KLX 250S generation bike. But I think we've settled that so lets drop it. Thank you for your input and information, it's appreciated. That's one thing down off the list.

09KLX250. Thank you for that information, that was actually very helpful. I put about 35-40 miles on my machine today, mostly road miles and I have to say the 12T front sprocket on it probably should come off and to slip on the 13T. The 12T isn't actually all THAT bad, for around town its perfectly fine and great for offroad and trails, but out on the open road it seemed to wind out quicker, but I still had no problem keeping open road speeds at a safe RPM. I don't think I ever had it past 7K and it was very brief, it was usually around 5-6K RPM and it was usually around 50 - 55 MPH, a few times up to 60. 60 was like around 7K or so, so there was still plenty left. I also have a Kenda rear tire on from the previous owner, Its 90% dirt and 10% road. I would say my riding will be like 50/50 so I definately don't want that tire on, its great off road but on road its louder than the engine of the bike! lol So even though I'm still satisfied with the way it is, if I can pull these free and simple mods off I'll be even more thrilled.

My dad was very surprised at it too, when I rolled into his driveway he said he couldn't believe how quiet it was. I said the muffler has 80db stamped on it, so thats pretty damn quiet. Any of you guys know how loud any of the aftermarket pipes are? He said he would take it for a ride sometime when he wasn't busy, then started to slowly stop his work, then I saw him looking at the bike again. I said take it for a ride...it'll only take you a few minutes. Next thing I know hes on the bike flying up the road then down a trail. He comes back and gets off and said "I'm sold", let me know if you see a deal on one this winter.

Any of you guys know how loud any of the aftermarket pipes are?

Pushing 96dB. Keep in mind every 3dB doubles the volume. So for instance, 92dB = 400% louder than 80dB. BTW, I'd be VERY surprised if it is inreality 80dB.

This forum has a very large contingent of KLX300 riders. If you want more KLX250s related info, visit www.kawasakiforums.com

Not sure you will get everying spelled-out to you in text book fashon as you seem to expect, but there is a lot more KLX250s specific info there.

Some of the mods might just require -I shudder to think about it- a little reasoning and common sense, but hey life isn't alway a cinch, is it?

• Like 2

Jason,

Reading between all the lines in your post, I can agree that a sticky on the fee mods would be useful, one for each bike covered by this forum. However, even the best online resources I have found for mod's or repairs to my stuff don't always work "as-advertised" when it comes time to do the task. No one has seen every combination of parts on every year of bike and there always seems to be a 'huh?!?' moment in every install I have ever done. That is where PATIENCE comes is. Then you just use your brain and creativity, and ask for help from others if needed to complete the task.

The rest of your initial post felt like you were implying people on the forums of the world had not met your expectations by giving you the service you expected. Don't take this next part as a slam, we all do this from time to time, but we live in a society that has come to expect immediate correct answers delivered to our e-mail in boxes and would probably buy fast food that finishes cooking on the way down if we could. That doesn't mean we all have a right to expect that everyone behave this way. None of us are entitled to having every one cater to us or deliver our needs to our door. However most people will be happy to try and assist someone who asks questions in a courteous and polite manner, they won't however help someone who gives them a feeling that it is their job to help (unless it is actually their job and then they might do it but grudgingly).

As for your specific questions... I always go to the source of the parts and mods in question when I want to get those last "details" figured out. Like calling FSW and asking specifically what I need to make the header work on my bike, or, calling Dynojet and asking your detailed questions once you have the basic plan in place. Even this won't guarantee no glitches but it can smooth out a lot of wrinkles. For instance, my Dynojet kit came with instructions that cleared up my questions about jets and needles with regard to which of the free mods I had done. In short the kit advised that I MUST run with low restriction air box, and preferably with less restrictive exhaust but absolutely with the exhaust end plug removed and which jets to use either way. My discussion with FSW told me exactly what I needed there too. I repaid the FSW reps kindness and help with a purchase.

Since you are taking on this task, maybe YOU should volunteer to capture the detailed documentation of the event to your specifications, and then submit it for a sticky post on this process? Nothing better than leading by example and it's always better to light a candle then to curse the darkness.

Glad you are enjoying your dual sport and let us know which tire you end up with, as I am contemplating re-introducing my 300 to the street.

Take care.

• Like 1

No offense taken and I don't think I'm entitled to anything, I'm just asking for everyone who knows a thing or two from experience about these mods to post about them out of the goodness of their hearts to help fellow riders. And then have a moderator sticky them and there would be no problems. And I am trying to "light the candle" as you said. I started this thread didn't I? I asked specific questions didn't I? I searched for 2 weeks for posted answers didn't I? "Cursing the darkness" would be me not making a post at all. And it always goes without saying that no mod is garaunteed, when you choose to break out the tools and drill bits and saws and whot not, then it becomes all on you. But thats why I have such a problem, because I'll read something and it gives perfect instructions then all of the sudden its like "WHOA!" how did we get from "there to there?" "where did the drillbit/grinder/saw, come in?" Those kinds of things are the most important.

If everyone stopped giving me so much resistance and either just posted the appropriate info OR ignored the thread entirely we wouldn't have this problem.

And for the record, the only mod that I can offiically call someone about is Dyno, and like I said, I just haven't offiically got around to doing it for starters, and secondly I figured it would be no big deal for someone to just type off some information real quick about it.

But now because of the information some of you just gave it seems as if Dyno tells you what all you need to do. However, I still have questions. So I guess I will in fact have to call them afterall.

Thanks to all of the info given thus far guys. Ride on!

Pushing 96dB. Keep in mind every 3dB doubles the volume. So for instance, 92dB = 400% louder than 80dB. BTW, I'd be VERY surprised if it is inreality 80dB.

Cool, good to know. Just out of your own opinion, is it THAT much louder? Like is about the same as listening to the stock exhaust on a MX 4 stroke, like the KFX or the CRF?

Tremor, thanks I'll check out Kawasaki's forum. I don't know if I already read there or not. I may have, I guess I'll know once I visit/revisit it.

If everyone stopped giving me so much resistance and either just posted the appropriate info OR ignored the thread entirely we wouldn't have this problem.

Jason - believe it or not, we all have other things to do besides mod other people's bikes for them, and most of us have given the information several if not dozens of times - or even more over the last few years. The information is out there. In detail. Most seem to find it easily. Others not so easily. But none-the-less, the information that you (and others) specifically seek has been laid out many, many times over.

Yet, new members show up almost daily asking for the same information. It's understandable, although frustrating. The moderators seem to have given up on asking people to search before posting.

So when someone new comes in and chastises us for not making a sticky and handing over the goods - (which by the way I and many others have asked for dozens of times to no avail) - it kind of rubs us the wrong way. No offense though, but for those who feel slighted or have a sense of entitlement, be prepared that everyone here may not feel the need to jump right on board to help out at their beck and call.

When someone comes in with a helpful spirit and asks a SPECIFIC question that is focused and directed, I think you'll find almost instantaneous answers to the question. There are many knowledgeable and helpful people on this board. You'll find that out if you stick around.

Good luck with your search and your mods!!!

Go green!

Cheers,

bp

Cool, good to know. Just out of your own opinion, is it THAT much louder? Like is about the same as listening to the stock exhaust on a MX 4 stroke, like the KFX or the CRF?

I've only had 300's, but yes, the aftermarket exhausts are significantly louder than 300's - which, from your description - are already significantly louder stock than the 80dB 250.

Over at the other forum, tremors link your ? have been answered at alot. Use the search button I found some of your answers very fast.:)

But thats why I have such a problem, because I'll read something and it gives perfect instructions then all of the sudden its like "WHOA!" how did we get from "there to there?" "where did the drillbit/grinder/saw, come in?" Those kinds of things are the most important.

I think this is what you are talking about, lol

351463546_4cskH-L.gif

Seriously, though, it sounds to me like you are just getting started with mods and don't have much experience. That's OK, we were all there at one time. A lot of what you are running into is probably interpreting the "lingo" if you will. For example, in your opening post, you said:

Some of the things I'm talking about is this. The Dyno Jet kit, people post a link from here to the TT store. Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but all I see are pilot jets and needles. I don't see a Dyno kit.

But, the "DynoJet" kit is just the jet kit with jets and needles. But the value in that kit is that it contains the proper range of jets and a needle that are "known good" for your bike, as well as instructions and recommendations for how to install it and tune it to your specific environment (altitude, temperature, etc).

When people talk about "opening up the airbox" - well that can mean several different things. To some it means completely removing the lid, to others it means swapping out the nasally and plugged snorkel with the KDX200 high flow snorkel. To others in also includes replacing the stock foam filter with a better flowing filter. But in general, it just means getting better air flow in.

As for the exhausts, the KLX250S and the KLX300 head pipes are different. Therefore, you can't take a KLX300 slip-on silencer and put it on a KLX250S. It won't quite fit due to the differing lengths of the mid-pipe. However, a KLX300 full system pipe (both header and silencer) will bolt right on to the KLX250S. So you can install a KLX300 header on the KLX250S, and then you will open up the possibility to install any slip-on designed for the KLX300.

Confused yet?

By the same token, you can install any KLX300 full system pipe - Muzzy, Big Gun, etc, onto the KLX250S because those include both the header as well as the silencer.

There are a million different variations in these mods, and most people do them in their own unique way, but the end result is generally the same. Some will say to drill the slide with a 7/64th bit, others will say use a #36 or a #35 bit. Yet others will say that you should clip a few rings off the spring instead. These are all ways to get the same end effect - better throttle response with the CVK carb - but going about it in slightly different ways.

The modder needs to grok all this information, figure out what the end goal is, and adapt and adjust the "recipes" to whatever makes the most sense for them, their bike, taking into account the mods they have already done, and their situation in general. For example, you might not want to both "drill the slide" AND "clip the spring" - they both have a similar result and combining them could be too much of a good thing = a not so good thing. So you should consider these modes a general recipe, not a bullet by bullet instruction list to be followed absolutely, but within reason instead.

Hope this helps. Modding can be a very fun and rewarding experience. It is how you can take the stock cookie-cutter bike off the show room floor that anyone can buy, and turn it into something unique to you, and know that you have improved it to uniquely suit you and your style.

Good luck!

• Like 1

The funny thing about mods and the web: If you've considered it, someone has probably done it. Some who do it take hundreds of photo's and document every step with a flow diagram and 3 or more paragraphs of text, then post them online. When you find these, and they are accurate, they are indeed awesome, but they are rare. Most of us just don't have the time or inclination to document to that level. We just do the mod, fix our mistakes :D, then ride and enjoy.

I don't see where you're getting resistance here... just people who have traveled the same sort of roads advising you that the only "purely correct" answer for your mods will be the one that works and that you end up liking. When I did my dynojet, there were two drill bits in the kit. I only saw the first one and promptly drilled my slide with it. As fate would have it, it was the larger of the two sizes and of course the wrong one. So I spent another 2 days filling the hole with metal filler and redrilling the correct size hole. I had all the info and still made a mistake. Recoverable but annoying.

And for the record, the only mod that I can officially call someone about is Dyno

Not exactly... on the header issue, there is one thing not quite made clear in this thread. Four Stroke Works makes a less restrictive header for the KLX250(94-96)/300(97-?) and it works great with a stock KLX300 muffler (with end plug removed). This, coupled with proper jetting (i.e. DynoJet kit) is one of the best investments for improving these engines (IMO). What I understood was that the original header on the KLX250 was the same one they used on the 300 thus there would be no point to locating a stock 300 header for your bike as it would be the same one except for possibly bend angles. The FSW one is however far superior and worth the $150, but it would need to mate with something. This is where a call to FSW might be in order. I suspect from what Bill P. and others have mentioned that a stock klx300 muffler mated to a fsw 300 header, would bolt on to your bike. However not having done it myself, I would never claim to "know" for sure. I bet someone has though. If I had your bike, my goal would be to get this combo sorted out for your ride because you can keep the noise down and still free up gobs of flow.

Again, just trying to offer useful advice here... good luck with your mod. :)