Sign in to follow this  

PW 50 power

I just bought a 04' PW50 for my son. Apparently the gentleman I bought it from took off the Power Reduction plate and didn't include it with the stuff he gave me. Does anyone know where I can find one? I know most of the questions on this forum are asking how to make the bikes faster, but my little guy is just starting out. Any guidance would be very appreciated. The bike shop does not carry this part.

D

Dont waste your time with the restrictor washer. I bought my sons brand new and the bike wouldnt move with it in. If youn want to limit the speed, you can use a screw in the front of the throttle assembly, as a throttle stop. This will work much better than the restrictor.

The restrictor is just a washer that fits in the end of the headpipe. You can order one from a dealer or you can go to Home Depot and search the hardware bins until you find one that will work. If it restricts the power too much just get your drill out and open up the center hole a little.

I just bought a 04' PW50 for my son. Apparently the gentleman I bought it from took off the Power Reduction plate and didn't include it with the stuff he gave me. Does anyone know where I can find one? I know most of the questions on this forum are asking how to make the bikes faster, but my little guy is just starting out. Any guidance would be very appreciated. The bike shop does not carry this part.

D

No need for the washer. My son was 3 when he started and we just adjusted the throttle screw to where it would just barely take off.

Todd

No need for the washer. My son was 3 when he started and we just adjusted the throttle screw to where it would just barely take off.

Todd

same here, I bought a throttle screw for 2 bucks and that works perfect.

My son is 4 and can't even reach the ground on it yet. he's doing great on it with the training wheels and getting good throttle control now and using his brakes good.

same here, I bought a throttle screw for 2 bucks and that works perfect.

My son is 4 and can't even reach the ground on it yet. he's doing great on it with the training wheels and getting good throttle control now and using his brakes good.

Can he ride his bicycle yet? Once my son had the throttle and brakes down I had him start riding his bicycle. At first he would just coast the bike and pick his feet up but eventually he started peddling. It took about 2 weeks.

After that I took the training wheels off the PW and stood about 6-8 feet in front of the bike and I would have him ride to me and I would grab the bars and catch him. I would increase the distance a little each time. He was fine except for the corners. He would let off and fall over and then one day I shouted for him to gas it and he noticed when he gave the bike gas it didn't fall over. I saw him smile and he knew he had it.

It takes time and patience but always try and quit on a positive note and don't wear him out. If he has some other kids about the same age that ride that then try and get them together. Kids will listen or try to do things their buddies are doing before they will listen to dad.

He got a Cobra 50 for Xmas when he was 5 and that's another story!

Later!

Todd

yeah, he can pedal a bike really good. I bought him a sweet little diamond back and of course he can't reach the ground on that either so he's got the trainers on it too. I trieds to raise them a little the other day but he's a long way from reaching and it was leaning pretty good so I put them back down. I'm thinking by the beginning of next year he'll be able to reach on the PW so i'm leaving them on till next year for sure. He wants to ride it every second of the day. I make him stand up most of the time too so he gets in the habit (unlike myself who spends too much time sitting) I have a walk out basement and there is a hill on each side of it and he is learing to go up and down that too which is a good skill to learn.

my neigbor has a 4 acre lot right next to me and they said they don't want him riding his bike on it because I'm not close enough. aggrevating but theirs none the less so he has to stay on his own 2 acres.

D

Hey Bro. Forget about all that stuff. My brother is the expert in teaching kids to ride dirtbikes. he is even teaching me how to jump. This is how we role at our house. hahaha I will also post the link to my videos on you tube to give you an idea how he trains the kids. He is a great teacher. He has the kids doing brake drils and everything by the first day. You have to remember that every day the kids go out you have to teach them everything all over again. they forget over night on how to hit the brake. hahaha

and here is the link. comments welcome. hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rangerfng&search_type=&aq=f

0815081552.jpg

100_4442.jpg

HPIM0345.jpg

HPIM0335.jpg

HPIM0420.jpg

HPIM0434.jpg

yeah, he can pedal a bike really good. I bought him a sweet little diamond back and of course he can't reach the ground on that either so he's got the trainers on it too. I trieds to raise them a little the other day but he's a long way from reaching and it was leaning pretty good so I put them back down. I'm thinking by the beginning of next year he'll be able to reach on the PW so i'm leaving them on till next year for sure. He wants to ride it every second of the day. I make him stand up most of the time too so he gets in the habit (unlike myself who spends too much time sitting) I have a walk out basement and there is a hill on each side of it and he is learing to go up and down that too which is a good skill to learn.

my neigbor has a 4 acre lot right next to me and they said they don't want him riding his bike on it because I'm not close enough. aggrevating but theirs none the less so he has to stay on his own 2 acres.

dimond back. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mongoose rules. hahaha . just kidding. my first BMX bike was a Rampar (candy apple red) then nothing but the goose after that. hahaha

dimond back. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mongoose rules. hahaha . just kidding. my first BMX bike was a Rampar (candy apple red) then nothing but the goose after that. hahaha

This could get into a whole new topic. My first BMX bike was a WEBCO with ashtrabula cranks and front forks. It was a great bike. Moongoose and Diamondback both sold out to mass merchants but they were great bikes back in the day. Somewhere at my parents house I still have the first issue of Freestyle Magazine. I remember back in 84 wanting the Diamond Back "Harry Larry Turbo".

Later!

Todd

Sounds good. I'd rather try out the restriction plate first. Thanks for the advice.

D

My son was 4 yrs old when I bought his bike new, the bike would not go anywhere with him on it with that plate in. Leave it out.

This could get into a whole new topic. My first BMX bike was a WEBCO with ashtrabula cranks and front forks. It was a great bike. Moongoose and Diamondback both sold out to mass merchants but they were great bikes back in the day. Somewhere at my parents house I still have the first issue of Freestyle Magazine. I remember back in 84 wanting the Diamond Back "Harry Larry Turbo".

Later!

Todd

Hhahaha

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/rampar/

yeah my 1979 rampar rat was the best bike BMX bike I ever owned. It was quite heavy but was put through the ringer. After the rampar I bought nothing but mongoose.Man I remember spending all my lawn mowing money on oakley grips cood knobed tires, alloy peddle, gold chain. hahaha good times. all the good BMX bikes back then were mongoose, GT, Dimond back, red line, and I remember hutch being around but mot popular. Growing up we had a BMX track right in the yard and ironicly my brother who has the motocross track is the one who built it. Its in the blood. hahaha. I would up thading my flawless early 80's mongoose for knee thepory after a skiing accident. It was not a good trade. I regreted getting rid of that bike. MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Later!

Hhahaha

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/rampar/

yeah my 1979 rampar rat was the best bike BMX bike I ever owned. It was quite heavy but was put through the ringer. After the rampar I bought nothing but mongoose.Man I remember spending all my lawn mowing money on oakley grips cood knobed tires, alloy peddle, gold chain. hahaha good times. all the good BMX bikes back then were mongoose, GT, Dimond back, red line, and I remember hutch being around but mot popular. Growing up we had a BMX track right in the yard and ironicly my brother who has the motocross track is the one who built it. Its in the blood. hahaha. I would up thading my flawless early 80's mongoose for knee thepory after a skiing accident. It was not a good trade. I regreted getting rid of that bike. MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Later!

The Webco was a 1977 model and I followed BMX all the way until about 1986. In the mid eighties I remember the following bikes:

Hutch

Redline

Moongoose

Diamondback

Kuwahara

Schwinn Predator (I had a cruiser with 24inch. skyway mags!)

Haro

Skyway

I had the checkerboard vans with the bike pads to match. Ahh memories!

And who could forget the BMX movie "Rad".

Later!

Todd

• Like 1

The Webco was a 1977 model and I followed BMX all the way until about 1986. In the mid eighties I remember the following bikes:

Hutch

Redline

Moongoose

Diamondback

Kuwahara

Schwinn Predator (I had a cruiser with 24inch. skyway mags!)

Haro

Skyway

I had the checkerboard vans with the bike pads to match. Ahh memories!

And who could forget the BMX movie "Rad".

Later!

Todd

I would like to get the movie RAD and let him watch it man i was young when that came out i probably watched that movie 10 times when i was younger, thanks for the memories 👍

Yeah I think this is thred worthy. hahaha . VAN's dude you were lucky. I had to sport the old converse's hahaha the ones that flipped down. I was into BMX till about 88. loved every second of it to. RAD was a great movie.

Kuwahara

Haro

Skyway

I dont remember these three bike though. I will have to look them up.