Sign in to follow this  

NEDirtbikr out for the season...

Well..looks like I may have to wait a while to meet/ride with some of our new Omaha guys in the area. Union put a smackdown on me this past Saturday and it looks like my season has come to an end (unless we get an unusually cooperative Fall and early Winter.

Went to the ortho today and am now in a cast. Appears I dislocated my #2, #3, #4, and #5 carpal metacarpal whatevers. Basically, the bones that connect your knuckle area to your wrist area (across the top of your hand.) The bones normally line up with the little cluster of bones that actually make up your wrist. Mine had lifted and gotten pushed over the top of the little wrist cluster. Luckily, no surgery. They numbed me up, hung my arm from a couple of chinese finger puzzle things, hung a 10lb. weight on my elbow for a few minutes, and then pushed the joints back into place (considering the injury, the doctor said this was a "best case scenario" and it could have been a lot worse.)

Anyway, the cast stays on for about four weeks and then another three to four weeks in a removable cast.

Best wishes for all and STAY OFF THE INJURED LIST! :)

Matt and Bob - I'll get the video of our hill climbing uploaded as soon as I can.

Sorry to hear that Mark. Which hand? Is it your dominant one? I can say from experience that being right handed and having a bad right arm REALLY sucks.

I'm sure your wife is thrilled...

I'm seeing the ortho Friday myself. Bad shoulder has been going downhill for a few months now. If I need surgery I'm gonna try to tough it out until winter though.:)

Hitting the big jumps is something I never learned to do, even when I was 100%. Once you get into that, I can see how trail riding (at least the lame crap we have around here) would be pretty boring.

Man, heal up quick. i know how you feel. i had my thumb amputated in a work accident a few years back. had just bought a new couch (honda rancher), and wouldnt you know it, my throttle thumb! just keep a ice cold beer in your hand. that will help. take care

Mark I hope you get better soon. Your new motto should be " 2 wheels on the ground = good"

Thanks everyone! I'll be back...no worries!

Which hand? Is it your dominant one? I can say from experience that being right handed and having a bad right arm REALLY sucks. I'm sure your wife is thrilled... I'm seeing the ortho Friday myself. Bad shoulder has been going downhill for a few months now. If I need surgery I'm gonna try to tough it out until winter though.:D

Hitting the big jumps is something I never learned to do, even when I was 100%. Once you get into that, I can see how trail riding (at least the lame crap we have around here) would be pretty boring.

Yep...dominant hand. My paperwork at the Drs. office looked like a 1st grader filled it out. :) Best wishes on the shoulder. At least I have the piece of mind knowing that I won’t be going under the knife. Hope all goes well!
i know how you feel. i had my thumb amputated in a work accident a few years back…
Okay, for one thing, you are WAY too humble! Losing a finger is not even a remotely like the wimpy (in comparison) injury I have. Dude, you win! Man, it’s challenging enough just to temporarily lose the full function of my hand let alone permanently losing a finger. No thanks!

Well..looks like I may have to wait a while to meet/ride with some of our new Omaha guys in the area. Union put a smackdown on me this past Saturday and it looks like my season has come to an end (unless we get an unusually cooperative Fall and early Winter.

Went to the ortho today and am now in a cast. Appears I dislocated my #2, #3, #4, and #5 carpal metacarpal whatevers. Basically, the bones that connect your knuckle area to your wrist area (across the top of your hand.) The bones normally line up with the little cluster of bones that actually make up your wrist. Mine had lifted and gotten pushed over the top of the little wrist cluster. Luckily, no surgery. They numbed me up, hung my arm from a couple of chinese finger puzzle things, hung a 10lb. weight on my elbow for a few minutes, and then pushed the joints back into place (considering the injury, the doctor said this was a "best case scenario" and it could have been a lot worse.)

Anyway, the cast stays on for about four weeks and then another three to four weeks in a removable cast.

Best wishes for all and STAY OFF THE INJURED LIST! :)

Matt and Bob - I'll get the video of our hill climbing uploaded as soon as I can.

well that sucks, hope you heal up quickly! remember bones heal and chicks dig scars. how did it happen?

Okay, for one thing, you are WAY too humble! Losing a finger is not even a remotely like the wimpy (in comparison) injury I have. Dude, you win! Man, it’s challenging enough just to temporarily lose the full function of my hand let alone permanently losing a finger. No thanks!

Actually it's not that bad, you just learn to do stuff without it. Sucks about your injury though. It seems like everyone on here is breaking stuff lately. Welcome to the ever growing club.

how did it happen?
Good question! Was taking a tabletop I must've done a thousand times. I think my ass end got a liitle high, came down on the front tire, started going over the bars, and then either bent my hand over the brake lever while launching over the bike...or...stuck with the bike, came down on the right side and got the hand caught between the brake lever and throttle. Really not sure...

Hey if I decide to enter a race I could use a good mechanic. Get well!!
Well, I do pride myself on being an okay DIY guy, but not gonna be much help as a one-handed mechanic! :)

Gotta admit Mark, the prognosis sounds a lot better than it looked! :)

Hopefully it heals up fast and you can get back to it. Maybe the season will hold.

Hope me being right behind you didn't have anything to do with it...

Hope me being right behind you didn't have anything to do with it...
Not at all. It was my stupidity and my stupidity alone that caused the whole thing. I'm just glad we weren't so close to one another that me or my bike caused any problems for you.

sorry to here about the broken hand try slammin the hand in your desk drawer at work maybe you could pull some workmans comp.

sorry to here about the broken hand try slammin the hand in your desk drawer at work maybe you could pull some workmans comp.
Hmmm..didn't think of that! :)

Sorry to hear about the hand Mark. :):D Hows the bike? Did you have to high tail it to the hospital or minor medical?

Hope it heals up right....

I actually have time to ride this weekend,....belive this would be 4th time out...

Was any work done on the track at Union?

Sorry to hear about the hand Mark. :D:worthy: Hows the bike? Did you have to high tail it to the hospital or minor medical?

Hope it heals up right....

I actually have time to ride this weekend,....belive this would be 4th time out...

Was any work done on the track at Union?

Bike is fine. Looks like I will need the following (and not all of this is because of the get off):

- Brake pads

- Brake lines

- New handlebar mounts (been needing those)

- Subframe (I think i can fix this)

- Possible new exhaust slip on (haven't really looked yet)

- Happened about 2pm last Saturday

- Went to EmergiCare Sunday morning (they splinted it)

- Went to ortho monday afternoon

- Should heal fine

Union wasn't too bad. It hasn't been prepped in any way and the usual suspects (turns and the small double in back) have some pretty rough spots, but I've ridden there when it's been MUCH worse. Overall, not bad.

Glad to hear you're getting out :) . Sorry I can't be there to ride with you.

Mark,

Sorry to hear about this. I have not been on the forum for quite a while, as my bikes are not getting used and I am going to put them up for sale.

Heal up and get back at it when it is safe to do so. I wish I had time to ride.