Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed Trailer Question

Looking to pick one of these up for both work and riding.

Found one, but it has a bent axel.

How hard and mostly how costly is it to fix?

its 12' x 6' x 6.5' size. single axel. not sure of the brand.

Is it as simple as buying a new axel from the brand that made the trailer and unbolting the old one and slapping the new one in?

What else should i look for or expect to replace?

Thanks!:)

Yes, the old axle should just unbolt out from underneath the trailer. Axles are fairly universal, you should be able to match it up at a trailer place, or even someplace like NAPA.

One thing I'd do is look long & hard at the undercarriage to be sure nothing else is bent. Pay attention to frame rails, spring attatchment points, and shackles, and don't forget the hitch/tongue. Also, if it had brakes, be sure to get an axle with brakes.

If the axle bent, that tells me one of three things: Either it was too light for the application (as sometimes happens on 'cheapie' trailers), or it was overloaded (look for anything else bent/cracked), or it hit some doozy of a hole/bump.

• Like 1

just bend it back. i have done this many times.and just did it to my rear boat axel. used a jack, chain and some measurements

You can, but it won't be the last time you deal with this issue...it'll bend, and bend, and bend, and bend.......until it breaks.

Once an item like an axle bends, it's junk.

thats how they use to align the old fords, no? bend em. I say bend it back and if it bends again then replace it. Im still rolling a car trailer that i bent back in 98 and is still straight and use the trailer all the time, and so do the leach friends! lol. which is how i got bent in the first place:foul:

thats how they use to align the old fords, no? bend em. I say bend it back and if it bends again then replace it. Im still rolling a car trailer that i bent back in 98 and is still straight and use the trailer all the time, and so do the leach friends! lol. which is how i got bent in the first place:foul:

Yes, the old kingpin front ends, that's how it was done......now the ball joint setups had "DO NOT HEAT, BEND OR WELD" cast right into the beams.