Sign in to follow this  

'99 XR650L EPA Noise Emissions label?

I live in NJ, I know...but it doesn't make me a bad guy! To register a motorcycle, NJ requires pictures of the VIN plate, emissions sticker and the EPA Noise Emissions label. Is the EPA Noise Emissions label stamped into the stock exhaust? :D I bought the bike with an XR's only slip-on and cant find the noise emissions label anywhere. Maybe someone has a close up picture of a '99 Noise Emissions label that they can send me so I know what I'm looking for? :)

i'll check my stock exhaust tonigh. Pretty sure what you speak of is stamped into the body of the muffler ... not sure though.

There's gotta be a way around that. I had a perfectly stock street bike where said plate was riveted on ... it fell off from vibration. I don't see why they can't get the info they need from the VIN.

if u still have the left side stock airbox cover/number plate look under there...also the steering stem may have it...

:)

This EPA Noise sticker used to be on my rear fender but it specifically indicates an 07 model.

100_1269.jpg

This is the EPA Noise plate tack welded on the muffler. Isn't model year specific. Maybe you can print this pic to use as proof for DMV.

100_1268.jpg

This is a pic of the inside of the right side cover and the factory location of the EPA emissions sticker. Not what you're looking for but not to be confused with the other.

100_1232.jpg

I live in NJ and all I did was take the title to the CMV (or whatever it is they call it now) and changed the title over and registered it. No different from a car. Same deal at inspection. If you have the title, shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for the replies gentlemen.

The sticker inside of the left cover is the vehicle emissions sticker. The one on the steering neck is the NHTSA/vin plate. I need the fender sticker like IMNXNYR posted but from 1999. I checked again but there is no sticker on my rear fender. :)

I live in NJ and all I did was take the title to the CMV (or whatever it is they call it now) and changed the title over and registered it. No different from a car. Same deal at inspection. If you have the title, shouldn't be a problem.

yea but you have GOOD luck, I don't. :D

Safety and Emissions

New Jersey also wants to make sure all registered motorcycles meet the safety and emissions standards set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). To that end, the MVC will ask you to provide certain photographic documentation when you first register your motorcycle. Grab your camera and show the MVC color photos of the following:

NHTSA label

EPA Noise Emissions label

EPA Exhaust Emissions label

Side of the motorcycle

I think I read something about out of state titles (I bought it in NY) need that info to be transfered to NJ. Either way, I would like to be fully prepared and only make one agonizing trip to DMV. :)

I just registered my xr650l in Feb at the NJ DMV and did not require any pictures, just cash. the registration they sold me expired 4 months later, in June and I had to renew with another 26 dollars for this year. If I would have seen the expiration date I would have made a comment. You have be very careful in the NJ DMV as they have police stationed there to take care of any complainers.

You guys were correct, no pictures were required to title or register my bike in NJ. I just wanted to be prepared!

I just need to get inspected when my insurance card gets here.