Sign in to follow this  

KTM 530 Electric starting problems

I'm scratching my head with this recent problem and hoping somebody out there can help.

The bike won't start on the electric button even though the engine turns over at normal speed. If you pull the choke on the carb out it struggles to turn over at all, it's like it's working against full compression. I cannot work out how the 2 are linked.

I've recently replaced the battery as thinking it wasn't turning the engine over quick enough, although it's turning the engine over the same speed as always.

A quick kick on the kick start and the engine fires into life imediately weather hot or cold (with choke out).

I've recently replaced the piston rings as now have 115 hrs on the clock, the cam chain and the cam chain tensioner plunger (as it was loosing the hydraulic end of travel).

Looking for any help or suggestions as is causing a real problem for me in those wet boggy British enduro's where the only option to getting it started is the magic red button!!

wet boggy British enduro's

Given the symptoms I would check/lube/tighten all of the electrical connections starting at the battery terminals all the way through the ignition system to the spark plug. Pay attention to the ground points as well.

My guess is you have some corrosion which is leading to high resistance in one or more connections. When the battery is spinning the starter the spark plug is not getting enough energy. And when you spin the motor with your leg there is enough power in the battery to overcome the resistance and fire the plug properly.

I just started experiencing this exact same electric starting problem. Bike fires on the first kick but just turns over and over with the magic button. Did you ever resolve this issue?

My bike really likes a very full charge when she is cold. Otherwise the same thing happens to me. I have looked over all the electrical connections and have read about the battery issues some but I can't justify replacing it just to see. If she does not fire right away I start kicking or look for a compression start.

It does not seem to be a battery issue. My battery tested fine and I also swapped batteries with my friend who has the same bike and it still will not light mine. Doesn't seem to matter if it is cold, warm or hot. I'm going to hunt for a corroded connection tonight. Any other suggetions would be appreciated.

I know some of the newer engines had a problem with the auto-decompression not working correctly. That is something you need to find out if your bike has the updated parts.

Also valve adjustment is critical. Hard starting is one of the first signs of valves out of adjustment.

Jetting is important. If you are still running stock jetting, that could be part of the problem. JD Jetting is the easy fix.

De-smog the bike wil help a lot also. If the bike has the smog crap on it. That includes uncorking the exhaust.

The ignition has its own coil and has nothing to do with the battery. Kick start will usually start the bike because it will spin the engine over faster than the little electric motor can.

I should clarify that I installed a 2009 Cam shaft installed so the auto decompression works properly. The bike has beed rejetted (JD), de smoged and has an FMF Q4 on it. Valves were just checked and perfect.

I should clarify that I installed a 2009 Cam shaft installed so the auto decompression works properly. The bike has beed rejetted (JD), de smoged and has an FMF Q4 on it. Valves were just checked and perfect.

That's good information to know.

My next step would be a compression test (115 PSI) or leak down test to confirm that all the work done is functioning properly.

It could be an electrical issue or a fuel issue.

It would be great if you have any riding buddies that have a KTM also that you could swap some parts with for testing. Carb., CDI, stator, coil, ETC.

But I know it doesn't always works out that way.:p

Let me summarize this incase anyone has the same issue. I have a 08 KTM 530exc that I rejetted, put an FMF Q4 and installed the 2009 cam shaft assembly so the auto decompression worked properly. It has been perfect for 1100 miles. One day it will not fire with the electric start. The bike just cranked and cranked but would not come to life yet it would kick start on the first kick. Compression and valves were fine. A new spark plug and new battery did not solve the issue. The starter was cranking at the proper rpm. I took the carb apart and found nothing unusual. Finally, I lowered the idle adjustment a tad and I think thats what worked. The bike finally fires with the red button again like it's supposed to.

I hope this helps someone.

Let me summarize this incase anyone has the same issue. I have a 08 KTM 530exc that I rejetted, put an FMF Q4 and installed the 2009 cam shaft assembly so the auto decompression worked properly. It has been perfect for 1100 miles. One day it will not fire with the electric start. The bike just cranked and cranked but would not come to life yet it would kick start on the first kick. Compression and valves were fine. A new spark plug and new battery did not solve the issue. The starter was cranking at the proper rpm. I took the carb apart and found nothing unusual. Finally, I lowered the idle adjustment a tad and I think thats what worked. The bike finally fires with the red button again like it's supposed to.

I hope this helps someone.

I had this happen to a buddies crf250x as well... we went in to the adjust the valves and for some reason one of us tampered with the idle screw also... bike wouldn't start... luckily i remembered that it had been messed with, so i put it back and things worked... it has to be fast enough to allow the ADC to turn off, or the bike won't start... I'm betting a faster starter would have worked too.

install the upgraded 7 amp Yuasa battery

set your idle a little higher than normal, and set your fuel screw at 2 turns out

when cold 3 slow squirts no choke

DBM

Good morning, sorry to join late, I know ithis has been said before but mine did that same thing when I recently put a hot cam in and my problem was my exhaust valve was at .003 and I had to back it out to .0045 or .005 which was over what I was told was spec. the way you describe the sympytons sounds identical to mine. Just my thoughts:thumbsup: