Sign in to follow this  

New pipe and tires!

I just ordered my new PC platinum pipe and factory sound 304 silencer.

I'm not big on aftermarket stuff, but my bike came with a Bill's Pipe that I just hated from day 1. I don't care much for the nickel coating it comes with, but I didn't want the chore of owning the Works bare metal pipe, so platinum it is.

I also decided to switch tire brands. I've been using the Kenda Carlsbad tires and they worked well and took a lot of abuse. I went through almost a whole season with them (March thru Aug) and just now they are starting to barely tear some knobs. I opted for the Maxxis IT tires this time around. I just wanted something with a little more bite when it came time for the gate to drop. Do any of you guys use the Maxxis tires?

PC platinum pipe and factory sound 304 silencer.

Yeah, very good selection. :)

On the tires, the Maxxis IT works GREAT in the desert as a rear but I prefer the Maxxis SI for the front tire. I use them on my offroad bike. The front IT is a bit slippery the SI bites better, or so I found. The rear IT is really good. I can chunk most tires in the desert. The IT REALLY holds up to abuse and offers very good traction in hard pack.

Never used them on the track other than putting around with the offroad bike but even then they worked as good as the Dunlop 956's I have on my track bike.

Yeah, very good selection. :)

On the tires, the Maxxis IT works GREAT in the desert as a rear but I prefer the Maxxis SI for the front tire. I use them on my offroad bike. The front IT is a bit slippery

Thanks, It will be great to get rid of that Bill's Pipe. Maybe I can sell it on Ebay for a couple of bucks.

I chose the Maxxis IT"s for their ability to work in different terrains. The tracks I ride at will go from hard pack to loam to slick. I am hoping these will give me the extra bite I need to hit the corners a little faster.

(Moved this conversation here so not to hijack the other guys thread)

I dropped the main from a 168 to a 170 and that was it. Originally to stop the spooge I was getting I dropped the needle 1 clip and swapped the pilot from a 50 to a 48. so my settings are now, 170 main,48 pilot and 2nd clip from the top. I probably should drop the needle 1 clip, but the plug seemed to be burning perfect again. I also switched premix from the Silkolene Pro2 to the Comp2 which is an ester synthetic.

Needls makes sense, pilot makes sense but you went richer from a 168 to a 170? 170 is richer than a 168.

Needls makes sense, pilot makes sense but you went richer from a 168 to a 170? 170 is richer than a 168.

Right!

Originally I had some spooge, so I dropped the needle 1 and lowered the pilot from a 50 to a 48. The spooge dissappeared and all was well. I rebuilt the entire motor from scratch and developed a knock. You recommended that I go up 2 on the main jet. I went up 1. Knock went away, power increased and the plug burns nice and brown.

It was a lean knock like you said.

In your original post about the RM250 knock you said that your bike was jetted perfect and that it knocked before and after the rebuild. Thats why I suggested you check your timing which would have taken all of five minutes to eliminate.

Happy that you have it sorted now but you did give conflicting reports on your problem for us to try and remedy your problem.

By the way I love my Bills expansion chamber with the stock silencer. It provides a good spread of power compared to the stock expansion chamber. I've also run the PC304 factory sound silencer and it was way to noisy for off road use. The same with the Bills shorty silencer, too noisy and not enough top end power.

In your original post about the RM250 knock you said that your bike was jetted perfect and that it knocked before and after the rebuild. Thats why I suggested you check your timing which would have taken all of five minutes to eliminate.

Happy that you have it sorted now but you did give conflicting reports on your problem for us to try and remedy your problem.

By the way I love my Bills expansion chamber with the stock silencer. It provides a good spread of power compared to the stock expansion chamber. I've also run the PC304 factory sound silencer and it was way to noisy for off road use. The same with the Bills shorty silencer, too noisy and not enough top end power.

Yes my bike was jetted perfectly then I checked my plug it was a nice lean white and I did post that. Before the rebuild it was knocking a bit under extreme uphill loads. I then did the rebuild and it got worst. The weather here also changed a bit. Sorry if I gave somewhat conflicting reports.

I don't think this is even the right pipe for my year bike. It hangs to low for me and there is one of those custom brackets on there which looks like it was in the closeout bin of a Homedepot. I saw my rm with a PC pipe on it and it was a much snugger fit with cleaner lines. You can even fill the oil without the pipe getting in the way!

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Yes it does sound like its the wrong pipe because my Bills looks exactly like the stocker other than the polished finish and fits the stock bracket mounts.

Suzuki.JPG

Yes it does sound like its the wrong pipe because my Bills looks exactly like the stocker other than the polished finish and fits the stock bracket mounts.

Suzuki.JPG

Nice Bike!

now I know my pipe is wrong. Mine hangs about 3 inches lower than yours above the oil fill. I could barely unscrew the filler cap and I even went and bought a funnel with a flexible line so I wouldn't have to remove the exhaust to fill it. I can't complain because I only paid $2200 for it and you can't find a nice 2t around here for that price.