Sign in to follow this  

Hot Start Kit for FCR39 Carb

Hi, I bought a FCR39 off ebay for My DRZ400SM, it was missing quite a few bits & being from NZ it took Me months to get all the parts BUT now I need to know if there is a Hot Start Kit I can get for it, the red button one it has on it is too jammed in & it fouls the Carb, I saw on another DRZ that the Guy had a lever up on His handlebars & He used that to control the hot start instead of My crappy setup, is there a Hot Start Kit for FCR39 carbs I can buy in the US?(theres NONE down here in NZ so I will be gettin it from My Friends in the USA)

I hope this makes sense,Im no mechanic & I have been struggling with getting this Carb on,beware of buying them on ebay UNLESS You are 100% sure it is COMPLETE, not like Mine, if I were to get another FCR I wud buy a brand new one from Thumpertalk I think, it may cost a bit more BUT its complete, in fact, its prolly cheaper considering wot was missing from Mine!

Anyway, if anyone has any info about these Hot Start Kits or how to fix My problem I will be VEEERY Happy, Thanks Guys

You do no need the "hot start". It was only used on the kick start DRZ400. Your SM will start fine using "E" start. Just blank off the hot start so it does not leak any air.

Thanks for that Noble, I'll try that, so basically I just have to blank off the hot start (how did You do Yours, with a plug or sealer or something else?)

Then, when its blocked off so no air can link will that prevent the carb fouling as well?

Also, I guess that means that hot start thing is actually completely unnecessary on the 400SM?

One more thing, I have replaced the original DRZ400SM petcock with an DRZ400E petcock because the FCR wouldnt work with the SM petcock

Anyway Noble, I Really appreciate the help,Thanks Mate

Cheers Brainfade

So basically I just have to blank off the hot start (how did You do Yours, with a plug or sealer or something else?)-----I don't know what FCR you have so I can't say how to do it. The only Suzuki DRZ400 that had "Hot Start" was the kick start only model. The "Hot Start" was an add on. It was not part of the carb itself. If you have a carb with "hot start" in the carb body, it is probably a Yamaha carb. Any method that will prevent an air leak at the "hot start" will do. Don't use RTV. It is not petrol resistant. If there is a hot start plunger, just leave it as is. It should be sealed when unactivated.

Then, when its blocked off so no air can link will that prevent the carb fouling as well?-----Not sure what you mean. "Hot start" is just a controlled air leak. You just want to make sure there is no air leak.

I guess that means that hot start thing is actually completely unnecessary on the 400SM?----Yes

One more thing, I have replaced the original DRZ400SM petcock with an DRZ400E petcock because the FCR wouldn't work with the SM petcock.---OK

Thanks heaps Noble, You completely sorted My problem thanks to Your great info, Man, its amazing what huge difference he FCR 39 & RS2 Yoshimura pipe has made, waaaay more Grunty!

Cheers Brainfade:thumbsup: