Sign in to follow this  

2008 250 XCW questions.........

I rode my new 250 XCW for the first time Sunday. This is my first 2 stroke since my 1980 IT 175, 24 years ago. I put the ignition mapping switch on and can't tell any difference in the settings. Is it a minute difference?

It runs perfect if I'm the gas, but, lots of sputtering when I'm holding the throttle steady on a dirt road. Is this the norm for a 2 stroke? Does it get better after break in? Or do I just get used to it? Thanks for any help you can give me...............Marc

I do like this bike, glad I switched back to the dark side.

If it spudders at constant throttle its rich. Common. Not the best though.

If properly jetted it will run smooth at steady throttle.

If you haven't installed a JD needle I'd drop the stock needle one by raising the clip one position and try it again.

The JD kit is a fair investment to eliminate experimenting.

Also, if its blubbering you'll be less likely to notice the diff in the mapping.

On my 300 There have been complete (slimy) races I've run in the soft setting. It helps the most down low. For the most part it shifts the entire hp and torq curve up in RPMS.

You will begin to feel the difference in map positions the more you ride the bike. I didn't think it was working until I had a few hours of seat time, now it's great and I switch back and forth as needed. The differences are so subtle that someone riding the bike for the first time probably couldn't feel any difference.

Its really more like switch on earlier power, switch off later power.

(Earlier or later within the RPM range)

The peak power is the same.

Where I really notice it is in slippery riding. (switch off) You don't have to feather the throttle much. Just ride. Not much worry about the rear sliding around.

I agree about the JD jetting kit. My 08 XC250 came alive after installing the kit. Spendy $$$ for what you get but it eliminates all the guesswork giving you more time to ride.:)

Dependent on how and where you ride I'm a firm believer in the slightly lean main with a fatter than stock pilot.

For example my JD kit recommended a 152 main stock 35 pilot with red needle @ #3. It rode OK but when I bumped the pilot to a 40 and dropped the main to a 150 it ripped with a new found ferocity and felt even torquier on the low end.

With the fatter pilot the bike seemed to loft the wheel at lower RPM making slower trail work easier and me more consistant.

I have tried the red spring adjusted all the way out and found that to be a handfull in my terrain. I now run the stock yelllow spring with the adjuster a wee bit out from the stock setting.

With the above jetting my map switch is very noticible and I switch between ON and OFF all the time.

Lots of room to experiment with jetting and PV settings on these bikes. You can really alter or manage how the power is delivered with a few minor tweaks.

The JD kit is cool because it gets you a functional tested baseline without the guesswork. From there you can tune it with minor changes to suit your terrain or riding style.

Hey Chaz, I installed the JD jet kit and still had a bit of stumbling at steady (half or so) throttle while riding. It's much better though. JD said to go from blue needle #2 setting to red needle #3 setting and it will smooth out. I'm gonna try this asap. I just get concerned that I'm gonna run too lean and hurt the bike. I do want it running optimal though and stock was no good. I love this bike. The power isn't too much, so I can see why you all are buying the 300's. Thanks for the info all. Marc

do a simple plug chop on the main jet to see where you are. you can adjust with confidence then.