Sign in to follow this  

GPS Question

I know this probably isn't the right place to be asking this, but I figure since all of you were smart enough to buy the KLX 450, you're probably smart enough to help me out!

I have Navigation in my vehicle, but now I want to get something on my KLX that I can get back to my base camp if I run around getting lost for a couple hours.

I don't know anything about GPS other than in my car it tells me where to go. What I think I am looking for is something that tracks where you go, and you can see how to get back. Also some sort of memory of where you've been in case you head back that way... I believe this is called mapping.

What unit should I look at? I want something that will mount nicely to the KLX and be reliable.

Thanks!

I am looking at getting a Garmin Foretrex 201 should do what you need my mate has one and he has never gotten lost.

I've used both the Garmin 60csx and now the Zumo 450... good mounts exist (I use Touratech) and they have good features. Cheers.

I use the Garmin etrex vista HCX, with a RAM mount, Very important to use this mount on a KLX450R, or the Vibs will KILL your GPS, HCX is a high sensitive antenna needed for offroad in my opinion, when you get into brush, trees and cover!

Bryan

I use Garmin 60CSx with RAM mount.Works great!Gamin 76 CSx is good GPS for bike, too,may be better than 60 CSx.If you buy Zumo, there is some triks for modifing stock mount to prevent from damages from water infiltration into it.

Use only Sirf III chipset GPS-es from Garmin.

I have a ZUMO 550 , if you ride offroad I don't recommended it, its really a road GPS, I use one on my 08 KLR650

XST, just as a little side note, from a lift time GPS user. might be of interest to you. go into your track set up menu, and choose Data card setup and record track to SD card, what this does is keep a daily log of every track you have laid down. Great for loading into map source, google earth, and making future routes!

Bryan