Sign in to follow this  

bike dies when i put it in gear...

hey hey, just got an 07 yz250f. when i picked it up it was running strong and everything. but the next morning when i came to ride it the bike would die instantly when i would hold down the clutch and shift, almost like i wasnt holding down the clutch at all. any ideas what the problem is?

Make sure you are checking you clutch engagement point a lot. If it is set incorrectly, your bike will eat clutch plates.

I've also found that some motor oils make the clutch drag more than others and the BG adative I tried almost eliminated drag. Yamalube is one of the less dragy oils.

EDIT: My '05 WR250 drags more than my friends '05 WR450 when the clutches are correctly adjusted.

my wr used to do that on concrete, but when i switched to bel ray and amsoil it stopped stalling. its also doesn't die if you rev the engine a bit to let the clutch slip.

make sure there is enough free play in the clutch. and try letting the engine warm up first, get its blood(oil is the life blood that fuels our engines) pumping