Sign in to follow this  

JE 13.5:1 Piston and Stage 3 hot cam

good just wanted to make sure the valves would have enough piston clearance. Also it will be used in a micro sprint racecar and is running on alcohol with a psi big air 48mm carb runs great with standard comp and a stage two but wanted a little more. do you think we should clay it or should it clear with no problem?

I assume HotCams and/or the piston manufacturer (or some of the engine guys on here!) will know what the valve-to-piston clearance would be on your setup so you shouldn't need to check it yourself. Are you running all OEM valves/seats/etc? Timing of he cam to be "straight up", or advanced or retarded at all?

you need to clay that one , because depending on where the cam is timed it could be too close

I would always double check your own clearances. Every machine and after market part has a tolerance difference from the one before it and after it in manufacturing. Better safe than sorry.

I used clay to measure my v/p clearances when I installed the Stage 1 cam. If my memory serves me correctly, I think there was something near 1/8" or something like that. I've found the performance gain of this cam to be lack luster at best (hard to tell the diff from stock). Does the Stage III offer that much more lift?

HC piston and stage lll!! That thing will be meaner than my second "X":eek:

The stage three is a big bore oriented cam. If you were running 480-500cc it would probably work better. Id like to know the specs on the stage 1 2 and 3. just to see what they changed. Lobe centers, ramps ICL, overlap etc...

If you want to make power with Alky, make it a bit fat and throw the compression and ignition timing to it big time.

Finally got the pieces today and my dad and I clayed it. Came up with about .126 in. p/v clearance(pleanty of room to still mill the head).

Thanks for all the input.

If you mill the head you will need an adjustable cam gear to set the cam up properly with the extra cam chain slack that will result from the head mill. You may need an adjustable gear no matter what, actually?

Thanks for the input,Its going back together friday with no head milling yet we'll try it at the track sat.with our new parts and head porting, we'll get a good read on improvment cause we use transponders for lap times,once again thanks for the help.

Clay? You dont actually use clay...what a mess...

I turn 2 degees & check..over and over and over...and to be sure youve gotta degree the cam in first anyway...

lol... I dont use clay either , I just mock it up with light springs on the valves and put a dial indcator on them ,then put it at TDC and push the valves into the piston :)

If you want to make power with Alky, make it a bit fat and throw the compression and ignition timing to it big time.

yep , and if thats not enough 10% of nitro will take the chill off the alky :)

Will a JE 13.5:1 Piston and Stage 3 hot cam work together?

LOL you americans love your Hp!