Sign in to follow this  

2007 CRF230F Weight Loss Program

Well, I just re-weighed the 230, and I'm down to 245lbs full of fuel. The stock bike was very close to 260lbs full.

So far:

Aluminum bars

Hole sawed seat

Ground down excess head/cylinder air fins

Removed plastic skid plate and ground off tabs

Removed push cable

Removed clutch switch, excess wiring etc

Shortened muffler 6" and ground header weld

Trimmed plastic

Removed air box baffle

Ground excess metal from shift lever and shortened

Opened up cs guard

Non o-ring chain

Aluminum rear sprocket

Out of time, will post more later

if you wanted to you could cut most of the airbox out and run a straight pod filter...

just the airbox portion, not the battery tray

if you wanted to you could cut most of the airbox out and run a straight pod filter...

just the airbox portion, not the battery tray

As soon as E-Batt comes out with their model that charges off of the bike, it will be installed and the battery/air box will be heavily modified so I can mount the Works Performance shock reservoir in a little better location. I'm also looking at lightening the flywheel along with modifying the stator to remove excess/unused windings/poles. The bike will never have lights on it, so I only need enough juice to keep the battery charged.

I have a few other things in the works, and hopefully they pan out.

220ish lbs? Possible!

the stock stator is already pretty thin... i beleive its only wrapped like 3 or 4 poles and has a couple empty ones..

take off the kickstand, thats an easy 1.25 lbs. on the modest side.

as far as everything else...

start trimming and replacing the steel with aluminum...

the stock stator is already pretty thin... i beleive its only wrapped like 3 or 4 poles and has a couple empty ones..

take off the kickstand, thats an easy 1.25 lbs. on the modest side.

as far as everything else...

start trimming and replacing the steel with aluminum...

I'm trying to keep the bike "trail friendly", so I've hesitated so far to remove the kickstand and sound baffle. Both will probably come off eventually.

The stock stator empty poles can be easily removed with a hacking tool???

Every part of an ounce counts in this project, and eventually we'll see how all of the little things add up......... or maybe I should say "add down".

This post is worthless without photos. Come on now, post up the beast so we can gaze upon her beauty..

sorry i just dont understand the point of hacking it all off?? it seems like the items u have removed will only add up to like 1lb.. just seems like a 2 stroke would be the ideal move :)

sorry i just dont understand the point of hacking it all off?? it seems like the items u have removed will only add up to like 1lb.. just seems like a 2 stroke would be the ideal move :)

So far, the over-all weight of the bike has been lowered by about 15lbs, and I have not sacrificed anything. All of the weight loss modifications to date have improved the bike.

Again, I'm reasonably sure I can pull another 10+ pounds off of the bike without sacrificing anything.

25lbs is a HUGE amount of weight, and is very noticeable when riding in the mountains behind my home.

A 2 stroke does not have the power delivery that I prefer for the slick conditions around here most of the year. I've spent many hours on a KDX200, 200sx, CR250, YZ125, DT90, DT100, DT125, MR175, etc etc etc, and so far, I much prefer the air cooled 4 strokes.

I've gotten tired of smashing radiators, spending my time working on complicated valve systems, short engine life, complicated more time consuming fork oil changes, etc etc etc.

It's time for me to get back to doing what we all love to do: Ride!

............... and I'm having a blast!

• Like 1

hmmm.. maybe the ideal next move would be to find a junked (seized ones can be had for cheap) 2T aluminum frame and fab in your motor.

wow sorry... i feel bad now.. i only thought i was gonna be a minor weight loss ...15lbs is HUGE! good job

Get a decent trail tire, from what i know they are smaller than offroad tires that are on from stock. And maybe it will even make it have better traction and lose weight, you could lose a couple pounds that way.

Get a decent trail tire, from what i know they are smaller than offroad tires that are on from stock. And maybe it will even make it have better traction and lose weight, you could lose a couple pounds that way.

I believe you mean trials tire? No, they aren't any smaller, at least on the rear which is the only place anyone runs them. Most are a 100x100-18 which is the same size as the Maxxis IT I run.

So Toby, you kill the KTM or just building the 230 for fun?

I believe you mean trials tire? No, they aren't any smaller, at least on the rear which is the only place anyone runs them. Most are a 100x100-18 which is the same size as the Maxxis IT I run.

So Toby, you kill the KTM or just building the 230 for fun?

I sold the KTM and am solo with the 230. One of these days when you are up for a ride I'll fill you in on the whole story. Short version is I'm having more fun now than I've had in many years!

The KTM was basically the perfect bike, but for some reason I'm having a lot more "fun" on the little play-bike.

get some aluminum bbr rims 2 pounds lighter

BBR aluminum rims are lighter than the stock aluminum rims?

Maybe!

dropped 2 pounds when i swapped mine to bbr its just kinda pricey and time consuming to swap out the hubs and get them laced and trued, just lace them yourself and have someone true them for you if you dont know how

I think lighter rims might not last with ExploringWA pounding on them.

There's such a thing as too light.

Who makes the BBR rims?

That does bring up a point though. How much do the stock rims weigh & how how much do Excels weigh? Excels have proven to be quite tough.

:)