99' RM250/ 1990 cr500 conversion

I've owned 4 cr500's and none of them handled like my 2000 rm250. The 250 just didnt have the lowend grunt that i love, but i am very impressed with the rm's handleing. and don't want the vibration associated with the aluminum frame conversions.

Over the past i have seen these go on e-bay and admired every one.

Any one have any experience building or riding one of these......

3c1f_12.jpg

CIMG0457.jpg

CIMG0454.jpg

78ac_12.jpg

realy like this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280228963970&rd=1

This is what i have so far. 1990 cr500 in poor conditon (runs good though)

015-1.jpg

1999 rm250 rolling frame, W/ plastic

017-1.jpg

test fiting it, it looks like i need to -make swing arm spacers to center the motor, (drive sproket will line up).

-cut and move the lower motor mounts and make new front and upper mounts.

-The stock pipe will fit the fame perfict, so will power core II.

-carb will fit into rm air boot like a glove.

-spark plug will be removeable in bike

-kick starter will clear nice

If you have done this swap your two cents would be greatly apprecieated...

Ought to be a great project; this is the first time I've seen a CR500 stuffed into a Suzuki frame. While I don't have any experience with that type of conversion, the only advice I could offer is to be sure of the quality of your welds. Keep in mind how much stress will be on them when landing off of a long jump. Be sure to document it; can't wait to see the final resiult!?

This CR500 fits into the RM like it was ment to be there, carb fits directly in to the air boot, pipe mounts line up perfict, including silencer mount. With this swap theres no real guess work on were to put the engine. (it just fits) super easy....

I have ridden a cr500 powered Rm over here in the UK..the bike looked stunning with nickel rame and ohlins front and rear(it was in supermoto trim) but unfortunately the engine and brake set up let it down.

The engine wasn't crisp and was poorly set up and the front brake was scary shit..it handled brilliantly though. I would still buy it off the guy though at the right price because there is so much more potential in it.

Still prefer my AF to ride though

Actualy,...test rode it yesterday, Took a bunch of pics but cant find the camara. Im swaping cylenders, pipe, and silencer tomorrow along with a different rear break lever with a different ratio.

I've had quite a few CR500s, and i've heard of a botom end hit, but this one is a violent low end hit that snaps on just above idol and makes it hard to ride. Im going to change a few things around and lower my stock 01 steele five 0 out of the rafters for a heads up comarison as soon as i get the RM500 a little more rideable for a comparison.

things i see i need to change in the short 30 minuets i rode it.;

-cylinder swap to one that dosent have the boysen ports hogged out.

I have and extra 1/2 mill over undecked W/ top end. "to mellow the low end hit"

-from 10 thousandths base gasket to 20(stock is about 30) "to help drop the comp. and make smother roll on''

-pipe, from stock 2000 to a sencond gen Gnarly.

-longer silencer, to make more mellow low end roll on and imiprove top end rev out, from P.C. factory sound P.C. 296

-rear break leaver swap from RM to CR lever. the RM lever doesnt have enough travel for the 500 caliper and master.

-change fork oil to 10w and lower level to around 100mm.

-also i can see the 1990 close ratio transmission being a problem. With the 500s they like to be rolled on in what ever gear you shift them up in to. Even if you double click the shifter up every time. This is my second 1990 cr500, i should have known. I have and extra wide ratio bottom end so its bound to get swaped out with in a few weeks.

So far im realy impresed by the way it handles. You dont turn the bike...... You think about turning the bike and it turns, and after looking down on steel frame 500s 4 years, you glance down and it looks like your on a ten speed mountain bike its so narrow.

Im getting it ready for a heck of a trail ride next week that will consist of some one meeting us half way to refuel. Im going with a bunch of cr500 guys that have no idea what im bringing........

i'll post more pics soon

Very simple. I worked on it for a few days at night and it took a little over a week, I could roll both bikes in on a weekend and have it out and riding the next day if I had a good sound RM. The one I got some one loved pressure washing it so i was waiting for all the bearings.

-test fited and moved lower engin mounts 1/2" forward.

-cut front mounts off of 500 frame and welded front mounts on.

- used 500 upper mount just fliped it around.

- made some spacers to center engine in frame for the swingarm. (Sprocket lines up perfict)

-moved one coil mounting tab.

- heated left side of tank with heat gun and redessed it 1/2" for cylinder clearance.

- cut 5/8" from silencer stiger and reweld. (this way it uses RM frame mount)

Might be doing the swap with a freinds 01'RM. I think it will have more tank clearance than this model.