99' RM250/ 1990 cr500 conversion

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulation on the project. I've been thinking of doing something similar based on an RMX 250 chassis. Here in Brazil the RMX's are plentiful and can be licenced on the street. I did a gen 3 AF conversion last year and raced it a few times. Ran out of money and had a baby so I sold it. Getting the urge again though but really want to have something street legal. My question is the RMX's seem to be of an older generation. The pipe doesn't pass through the frame but is mounted higher. I'm guessing I would use the older as the basis but it looks like it will need more work. Where there's a will there's a way! Congrat's again.

I've owned 4 cr500's and none of them handled like my 2000 rm250. The 250 just didnt have the lowend grunt that i love, but i am very impressed with the rm's handleing. and don't want the vibration associated with the aluminum frame conversions.

I have a Aluminum frame conversion CR500 into a 2005 450X frame it has vibrations less than the stock frame did.

And handle much beter than the old steel frame the best of both worlds.:worthy:

• 8 months later...

wow, so does anyone know if the frame dimensions on a 125 would be close to the 250, im askin cause i have a hookup on a 1997 rm 125 for like 200 cause the motor is bad. i would love to do this conversion, but im not shure about the 125 frame, any info would be great

• 8 months later...

sorry to bring up an old topic.

Just a couple of quick questions.

How has this bike held up since its build?

Are you still happy with its handling?

and now that you have spent time with it would you have done anything diff?

Here's my 2004 CRF250/87 CR500 conversion. Presently working the bottom of the gas tank and just installed the Ohlins front end. It runs now but I want the tank completed before taking it for a spin. I dig the RM conversion because it's already a two stroke requiring a lot less cutting and welding plus ease of welding as all I have is a Miller DC TIG welder.

Craigus

DSCN2118.jpg

DSCN2116.jpg

DSCN2117.jpg