Sign in to follow this  

sprocket selection

OK ! what is the rule of thumb for sprocket selection. I am looking for better highway speeds but also do not want to loose the bottem end. Any help would be great

:)

for highway speeds, stick with stock gearing. I have 15/47, and that's buzzy enough at 60.

if your bike is stock or with just bolt-ons changing the gearing will not let you get past the 100MPH wall

you need more power to do that

you have walls that go 100MPH :) All sarcastic remarks aside, the bike stock will meet the power drag ratio at around 100

i went from the stock 41 to a 39 rear didint really notice any power loss but it will purr along at 60 all day now

It's a compromise at best. I put a 41 on the rear for lowered hiway rpms but I change from a 15 in front to a 14 or 13 for off road. For me, it seems easier than changing the rear sprocket. I can do this on the same chain.

Have a stock front and a 44 rear (Easyer wheelies...) No probs cruising at 75 mph (120kmh). Can still press the bike to around 90-93mph,but this bike isn't made for high speed ,so when i want to go flat on the highway -> I use my other bike..:)

OK, lets clear some issues up:

It appears by his username that he has an SM... so stock gearing is 15/41.

On a straight flat road with no headwind, a stock S or SM will do low (possibly mid) 90's. [Keeping in mind, the stock speedo is a solid 10% optimistic]

Bumping up the gearing is simply going to lower the revs at a given speed, not increase the speed... since the DRZ is limited by drag/power not by running out of gearing.

Bumping up the the gearing will make for a much better highway commute, I personally opted for a 16 tooth driven sprocket in the front. It does, however, make a noticeable change coming off the line.

Thanks for the info. I going to see what the upgrades i'm doing this weekend

will do for me.

slip on FMF power core 4 / k@n filter -- if the bike wheelies with less effort i will stay with the stock gears. (or) get the header pipe and do the jetting we

will see

oh also switched to synthetic oil :)

I run 15/51 and the bike just about tops out at 85. 15/44 wasn't enough grunt for me in the woods. I needed that low end.

06wrx, how do you get that top speed with that gearing, I have 15/48 and it feels like its burning up at 55 in my top gear, I have a 06 SM that is re-jetting with stock pipe. Can I push my bike harder?

yes you can but you do not want to push it all day long

it has a 10,000 REV limiter

with 16-41 on my SM I can only hit the rev limiter in the furst 3 gears ... after that it runs out of power

06wrx, how do you get that top speed with that gearing

Because you're comparing apples to oranges. The S has a larger rear tire which makes about 3 teeth difference in gearing between the S and SM.

Simply put, 15/41 SM and 15/44 S are nearly identically geared when you calculate in the rear tire size difference.

I like how my SM runs with the 16-41 ... but if your looking for top MPH a 15-41 will help to get over 90MPH

the stock motor just don't have enef poop to brake 100MPH

mods are 3x3 re-jet , pipe, and E cams

I disagree. My S turned SM will hit 105 indicated (100 true) with 15/41 gearing.

It will, but that does'nt mean I will, much..

GB :)

Thanks for the info. I going to see what the upgrades i'm doing this weekend

will do for me.

slip on FMF power core 4 / k@n filter -- if the bike wheelies with less effort i will stay with the stock gears. (or) get the header pipe and do the jetting we

will see

oh also switched to synthetic oil :)

OK ! Did the mods and It's like new bike more power and alot more fun to ride

thumbs up