Sign in to follow this  

Is it true? 2 strokes in '09?

I'm usually on the Kaw 2st board so forgive me if I have this all wrong or if it has already been discussed, but I read in the latest issue of Dirt Rider that Yamaha will be bringing back two-strokes in 2009. Is this true? I have been saying two-strokes will return. I hope its true.

Yes Yamaha is still making two strokes as is KTM. Kawasaki is still making the 65, 85, and 100 smokers. Everybody else jumped ship, what a shame......

JC7622! Found ya here too. I'm dirt kid from KDXrider.net. Two strokes are going strong because of weekend warriors and weekend racers like us! You got your KX/KDX hybrid going yet? Sorry to hijack thread.

The day Yamaha two strokes aren't made anymore is the day I quit riding.

Which will be never!:)

You are going to regret that when next year they discontinue all 2-stroke production:p

You are going to regret that when next year they discontinue all 2-stroke production:p

You a probably correct on this one. I have not seen a 2009 yz 250 yet. Almost as if the plan is to limit distribution, steer buyers toward their 4 t's, the drop the 2t due to lack of sales.

I talked to a salesman about a pw 50. He said , "we did nto order any..How abotu this TTR....." I stoppe dhim and said I wanted the pw 50 because its light....Little kids have no business on a machien thats three times their weight."

His reply, "they're all heavy." Ok, PW weighs near 80 lbs.....ttr 50 is close to 120. Thats a very large difference when your body weight is 60.

You a probably correct on this one. I have not seen a 2009 yz 250 yet. Almost as if the plan is to limit distribution, steer buyers toward their 4 t's, the drop the 2t due to lack of sales.

I talked to a salesman about a pw 50. He said , "we did nto order any..How abotu this TTR....." I stoppe dhim and said I wanted the pw 50 because its light....Little kids have no business on a machien thats three times their weight."

His reply, "they're all heavy." Ok, PW weighs near 80 lbs.....ttr 50 is close to 120. Thats a very large difference when your body weight is 60.

No kidding. It's all about being able to kick the bike off of you should it fall upon you or if you need to pick it up. Flat footing a bike should not be the sole criteria if a child is ready to ride the bike. Being able to overcome the weight is the biggest factor IMO. My 9 year old daughter was burned severely on a PW80 because I thought she was good to go with the flat-foot, bent knees. WRONG.:)

Shrubitup, I had a nephew suffer a bad leg burn from a honda xr 50. Heavy bike, auto clutch, and enough torque to spin the back wheel when his leg was caught under it. We ran as fast as we could, but it was still bad.

Shrubitup, I had a nephew suffer a bad leg burn from a honda xr 50. Heavy bike, auto clutch, and enough torque to spin the back wheel when his leg was caught under it. We ran as fast as we could, but it was still bad.

Sorry for the hijack but that's exactly what happened to my daughter. Leg caught between rear tire and frame. The Monocross suspension gives perfect room to trap their legs. Bike fell on the throttle, with her at its side trying to turn it around. The rear wheel spun and the knobby dug into her leg deeply. I ran very fast but it all still happened before my eyes.:)

I started on a XR75 when I was 11. I think my Dad was a little smarter than me.:D

Nevertheless, the wife don't like 'cycles no more and the kids can't ride till at least 12 now. Probably a smart idea.:worthy:

MotoMan, no doubt they are supposed to be out there..in what numbers is anyones guess.

Talked to a Yamaha guy at LL's.... he said the 2-stroke wouldn't be getting updates but it would still be in production as long as demand was still there.

So if you want to keep um, buy um!

Walked into the Suzuki shop last spring only to see a holdover 06 JR50 (last year). My boy was 6 months old but those Suzuki 50cc 2 strokes have always been about the smallest bike you could buy.I also bought a Suzuki Quad Sport 50 4 wheeler,those things seem to be the ticket when trying to get you kid on something (safely)at a young age. Small ,automatic and electric start plus beefy enough i can give him rides untill he's old enough to ride himself.

You fools, dont you know xr50's arent designed for children, they are designed for full size adult males to race in the back yard on. geez. lol

:):D

I would have added,"I can see you don't care about little kids" . " I'm sorry, I see I came to the wrong place to buy a childs motorcycle." And headed for the door! These dealers have to be shown that they are not the decider of what the public "wants to ride" the riding public is. They do or don't order bikes from a purely profit stance only, "the heck with what YOU want, it's what I want to order to make the most money" We've got to let me KNOW!:worthy:

Techmc

An air cooled DT-400 in a modern chassis suspension combo, AND street legal.....ahhhh, that would be heaven on 2 wheels......:):D

Screw the EPA..... Your average school bus probably puts out more pollutants in a week, than 2 dozen of these would in a year!