Sign in to follow this  

Stock jetting at 7000' +

Traded in my KLX 300 for the 450 and couldn't be happier. I'm going to do the AIS and other mods but not sure whether I need to rejet for the altitudes I ride. I ride at 7000' to 10000' on tight trails. I understand that the stock bike is jetted lean for sea level but at what altitude is it jetted ok for? I guess I may need to tear into the carb anyway to fix the bog when I snap back the throttle while at low RPMs.

i just spent the month of june in monticello utah at 7000 ft. i bought a new 450r in denver and the stock jetting was to lean . i went to a 42 pilot, 155 main jet , put in an adjustable fuel screw, blocked off the smog and took out the snorkel. ran like a bat outa hell. up at 10000+ i used the fuel screw to reduce the fuel ratio, right at a 1/2 turn in. this was a trial and error thing for me. the dealer in denver jetted it for altitude as much as they knew ,the young guy put 142 main in it, left the pilot alone, that didnt work , so i went to the only shop there, honda , the crf 450x has the same carb, and got more jets. kept playing with it till i got it. all the info on how to do it ,except for which jets , was on here.i live at sea level and the main is still fine,put in a 48 pilot and it is good to go. seems like a lotta work to get to the carb but once you do it it's not bad. i did take the top nut off the shock and took off the left motor mount,plus the change guard, get a little slack in the throttle cable to rotate the carb, take off center bowl acess plug then you could see the jets. have to have a small regular screw driver to get to the pilot jet. good luck.