Sign in to follow this  

changing tranny oil

Everytime a change the tranny oil i am scarred i put to much just cause i pull that one bult that when you put enough oil in that it starts to come out but it seems to take forever to come out of that whole just cause it has a lot of space to fill and takes a long time for the oil to get down in there but everytime i feel like i put to much oil in and people have told me that if you put to much in it is not good for the motor do you guys have any tips or tricks on changing the tranny oil.

thanks

Everytime a change the tranny oil i am scarred i put to much just cause i pull that one bult that when you put enough oil in that it starts to come out but it seems to take forever to come out of that whole just cause it has a lot of space to fill and takes a long time for the oil to get down in there but everytime i feel like i put to much oil in and people have told me that if you put to much in it is not good for the motor do you guys have any tips or tricks on changing the tranny oil.

thanks

when draining, make sure you remove the black tranny oil cap before you remove the tranny oil drain bolt. don't bother with the 'tranny oil check level' bolt.

put 1 quart of tranny oil and don't worry. i use Honda HP Trans Oil (aka Red Bottle) i believe at 1.5 quarts, excess oil will vent out the vent hose. people here run 1 quart so as not to risk their tranny locking up, which is otherwise a problem on the '05s.

when oil starts leaking from the bolt, replace the bolt and crush washer.

I try and change oil on a day when I don't plan using the bike. So I set it up for draining and let it drip dry for a couple hours then fill it back up with exactly 1 quart of my favorite oil. I don't even check it afterwards, 1st because I know I started empty, 2nd because the check hole only tells you if your low, not how much. Its sort of like wiping yourself, no need for a visual...

Its sort of like wiping yourself, no need for a visual...

LOL...

thanks

It is a bad idea to overfill the oil in a conventional motorcycle engine that shares oil between the engine and the transmission. It is bad because the excess oil can reduce the free space between the moving piston, rod, and crankshaft and increase the oil pressure to the point that oil is forced past the piston rings, blows out the crankcase vent, or blows a gasket.

Excess oil in the transmission only (like on the CRF450X) is not subject to the reciprocating forces that could increase the oil pressure (like on the engine side) so it is not harmful to run the level high. In fact, in the X's case, it can be harmful not to run the level high :)

• Like 1

It is a bad idea to overfill the oil in a conventional motorcycle engine that shares oil between the engine and the transmission. It is bad because the excess oil can reduce the free space between the moving piston, rod, and crankshaft and increase the oil pressure to the point that oil is forced past the piston rings, blows out the crankcase vent, or blows a gasket.

Excess oil in the transmission only (like on the CRF450X) is not subject to the reciprocating forces that could increase the oil pressure (like on the engine side) so it is not harmful to run the level high. In fact, in the X's case, it can be harmful not to run the level high :)

gas for you :D

Thanks guys from now on i will just be running 1 quart of oil in the tranny side and that will make things a lot easier.

Thanks guys from now on i will just be running 1 quart of oil in the tranny side and that will make things a lot easier.

:):D

In the manual it says replace the sealing washer with a new one every oil change, is this necessary?

Torque the drain bolt to 20nm every time, and the crush washer will never crush.

If you have already over-torqued the bolt, then the crush washer is crushed and will not come off the bolt. At this point a new bolt and washer is recommended.

paul