Sign in to follow this  

My crf 150 project with 85 suspention

Last winter i bought a 2004 crf 150 from a friend and it was in really rough shape. I thought it would make a fun summer project so I jumped on it.

I have the frame painted with Rustoleum hammered black with a clear coat over it and it looks great. Hope it holds up.

Bought a brand new left side engine case because mine had a hairline crack. I also bought a brand new flywheel and plan on taking about 7 oz. off.

I have some .36 fork springs to install in my rm85 forks and just ordered a BBR rear shock spring for the cr 85 conversion.

As for the carb I decided to go with the mikuni 26mm carb. Its like a yz80 carb and I was pleased with how it worked on the ttr and I have lots of jets to choose from so I hope it works out. All I need is the throttle cable and throttle assembly.

I need to put the fox blitz graphics on and the guts tall seat and I think I will have the looks down. For some bling I ordered a billet red dip stick, gas cap and billet red pegs. Hope to get the engine plugs too:thumbsup:

Also have a FMF powercore4 to put on along with asv levers, new starcross tires BBR clutch springs, and Tag bars.

I still am not 100% sure on how to do the shock conversion. . . Drill the hole EXACTLY 1 inch higher than the stock hole???

A much easier and better way IMHO is to run the xr200 carb. The mikuni's are not a good match for the 150. It is a easy swap. Truthfully you would be better off rejetting your stock carb and putting the money into a cam. Good luck either way!

Ya the guy i bought it from had a crf 230 carb on it thinking it would make it faster and I he doesnt have the 150 carb anymore. . .

And Ill check out the 200 carb. Wont i have to buy the BBR adapter for it though?

Actually the xr230 and xr200 carbs are the same size as the Mik you are looking at... 26mm.. the body is not the same size... I have a modified stock 150 carb sitting if you are interested in a smaller carb for stockish motor. I would pick up a cam and leave the 230 carb on or trade it for a 150 carb setup. PS the xr200 carb does not need a different intake or any adapters... just bolt it on (maybe clean it up and port match it)and use the same 150 throttle cable. The 230 as you know has a different throttle cable setup. It is dual push pull not a single cable like the xr200/crf150.

Later

Drill 1 inch on the shock? Instead of that, get a 230 linkage (piece with the bearings, not the wishbone piece) and you can run the shock without drilling it.

A much easier and better way IMHO is to run the xr200 carb. The mikuni's are not a good match for the 150. It is a easy swap. Truthfully you would be better off rejetting your stock carb and putting the money into a cam. Good luck either way!

this motor seems to like the stock carb for some reason....even with the 175 bbk it ran it's best with the stock carb.i tried the bbr carb and it ran fine as well but a little less low end a little more on the top.........the engine already had good top rev performance . and needed a little help on the other end so i went back to the 24mm keihin and im still running it today. i only single trail with these so it was good move........it's not like the ttr that we rebuilt last year smartt. it has a decent size carb...that works good with the bbk or stock if jetted right. ....as far as the shock, .......both ways have been tried by several different people and both work fine.....just depends on what you want to do.,,,,,reger shortens the shock for a price and is basically the same as redrilling imo.....mine worked great for a light kid . stock spring is way too soft. but fitment and action worked well.....some dont care to drill on the shock and go with the linkage....if you have it or can get one ,,,thats good too.....its kinda like raising the rear on the ttr...many refused to remount the top mount and went another route to level it....i drilled mine and the bikes been punished with no issues..... good thing about this site is you'll hear from those with a positive experience doing things different ways and you have more choices on how to go and can decide which better suits you.

Here is just an update on how things are going:

I put the .36 springs and some 20W oil in the rm85 forks this weekend and installed them on the bike. Looks great!

The BBR shock spring is on and the shock is looking good.

I have cleaned up the swingarm and somewhere in this whole proccess I lost one of the swingarm cover bushings. Where it bolts to the frame. Need to order one of those.

Im still waiting on a crf230 triangle piece to buy so i can put the shock on.

I got the carb in and ordered my throttle cable. Also put a powernow in it. Still need to buy a throttle assembly.

The crf150 wheel wont fit the rm85 forks right so I also need to buy a complete rm85 front brake system and front wheel. I bought a rm85 big wheel with black prowheel rim HD prowheel spokes and a powdercoated hub from a friend. Still looking for some brakes.

Check back for pics in about a month when Im done. Being in school and sports makes it hard to find time to work on the bikes.

Yes, I have a stock rear shock from an '07 CRF150F for sale. I bought the bike as a leftover in Dec 08, and the shock has had no usage so it is in excellent condition. I just installed a Works Performance rear shock in it today as part of my winter project. There is a BBR heavy duty spring on it, and I have the stock spring as well. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

I will also have a set of brand new front forks for same model with BBR springs for sale as soon as I install these CR85 forks with the conversion. I am building the world's only 150X (heh, heh).

Do not drill a new hole for the new rear shock. you drill the hole because the shock it to long right. a 230 linkage combined with the rest of the 150 parts lowering the bike. but when combined with the new shock it makes the big level out. check tone consultants website.

Looking for A rear shock for crf 150f local dealers say on backorder and Works are too expensive for me what other options are there and will cr 80/85 fit?