Sign in to follow this  

Is there a less expensive alternative to No-Toil rim grease?

I've got an XR650R, which requires a lot of rim grease (due to the size of the intake behind the filter.

I love No-Toil, but I go through a lot of rim grease to ensure no dirt sneaks in around the edges.

Is there an inexpensive alternative to their rim grease?

I know you can use Oxi-Clean as a sub for the cleaner...:)

I just use tube of bearing grease from NAPA to seal off my filter on the edges.

I too, have use the thick axle-style grease on other filters... but I was under the impression that one was not suppose to use a petrol-based product with the No-Toil products which are alcohol-based ... is that accurate?

i use the same grease we use to grease the backhoe and skidloader

Pretty much any grease will do!

I have always used whatever grease I had laying around. I'm not sure how well the no toil cleaner will take off anything but the no toil grease, it shouldn't hurt to try it though.

bel ray water proof grease and tide laundry soap for the cleaner. I swear tide is exactly the same as the no toil stuff just a little less concentrated.

I second the pro-seal. I just spray the filter with the regular uni-filter oil and it seats to the seal just fine. I always check the seal and it never has dust on it when changed.

Maybe some bikes are different, but all of my bikes (ktm, husaberg, suzuki, and my old kawi) seal just fine without grease. I stopped using it years ago. I race frequently in extreme dust and i have never seen the slightest hint of any dirt sneaking in around the edges of the filter. Those things generally clamp down pretty tight.

Maybe some bikes are different, but all of my bikes (ktm, husaberg, suzuki, and my old kawi) seal just fine without grease. I race frequently in extreme dust and i have never seen the slightest hint of any dirt sneaking in around the edges of the filter. Those things generally clamp down pretty tight.

My YZ250 does too, but I grease it anyways, just in case. I use a John Deere HD farm machinery pivot/wheel bearing grease.

I won't use the industrial grease because I wash my filters in the home washing maching.

I'm another fan of the Pro Seal. It's just a piece of neoprene, cut to fit the application, with adhesive on the back side. Peel, stick and forget! :lame::bonk:

Why run grease? I have never ever ever used any sort of aftermarket seal. Plastic/metal ring of the airbox on a well oiled filter. 12+ years in VERY dusty and muddy conditions with no problems. If the filter can keep the bad stuff out by itself with oil on it, then why the hell does it need a seal other than filter touching airbox?

^^^that's always what I thought. bikes don't come stock with anything but a dry filter..why the grease. with that said I use the no-toil grease with my no-toil filters. I always think of the water issue.

Interesting topic.

+2 on the ProSeal

It is made of scuba suit neoprene. Depending on the bike, it either bolts on or is held on with adhesive. A much cleaner and simpler alternative to rim grease.

The grease or Proseal is just a layer of insurance againset imperfections that the filter 'rides' over. May not be needed but, I'd hate to be the one to realize it was needed on my bike.