Sign in to follow this  

Is there a less expensive alternative to No-Toil rim grease?

^^^that's always what I thought. bikes don't come stock with anything but a dry filter..why the grease. with that said I use the no-toil grease with my no-toil filters. I always think of the water issue.

Interesting topic.

Wrong. Buy a new OEM Honda filter and it will come oiled and greased to perfection. :lame:

rim grease?? is that like blinker fluid??

actually, if you're using it for what I think you're using it for, I just used some thin foam rubber door sealant. You know, that foam sealant that comes in rolls that you seal your door jams with. Works great! I've had it on for over a year and haven't had to mess with it. I make sure to check the inside of my filter (a K&N) every time I clean the filter, and it's always perfectly clean. Not sure if you could do this with a foam filter, though...

Checking inside the filter does not tell if dust is passing. You need to wide inside of the airboot.

In some parts of the country, dust is not a issue and therefore, the seal of the filter is not as important. But if you ride is talc, that fine stuff will get past unless it is perfectly sealed.

PC seal is neoprene..rough right? How does that seal better than smooth on foam?
There are many different types of neoprene. The Pro-Seal is a "tight"-cell neoprene that still has some compressability, so it and the foam airfilter nestle together, providing a wide seal area.

That said, the stock air filter/airbox seal is probably tight enough, even without grease. We use Pro-Seal for the additional piece of mind. :lame:

PC seal is neoprene..rough right? How does that seal better than smooth on foam. Ill take my stock no gimmick seal any day.

It's not a gimmick, it's merely another bit of added protection and insurance against prematurely wearing out a very expensive engine. I'll gladly spend a few dollars to further ensure that my engine is getting all the protection I can possibly provide.

i wouldn't mix petroleum based greases with no toil - the whole point of no toil is that it is safe and biodegradable. Surely using other greases defeats the purpose?