Sign in to follow this  

No Replacement for Displacement (440+)

I just wanted to consolidate all the 440+ owners to see the diverse moding and riding styles. If it was worth it or not? How does this effect the way you care for your bike and any changes in riding... Do you enjoy it, where do you notice it the most, what were the best mods? If you have a 440+ please leave your feedback and if you dont have a garage name your mods and which ones gave you the most back.

I think this will help all the 440+ owners and all the future owners...

I have an 03 klx 400 with a 40 over bore. I bought the bike second hand and it already had the kit in it. Yosh full exhaust, re jetted, and only 300 miles on the new kit.

Its comftorable to ride at 75mph, it'll do 100 i think, but i've only taken it up to 92 so far, and that was with a passenger rider on...

it pulls really hard in all the gears, its also got a really small rear sprocket so that definetly helps with the speed and i think that the bigger bore really picks up the slack it would have had with that gearing otherwise.

anyway, i love it, former klx250 owner so this is a step up for me as i do more road commuting then woods/trail riding... probably like 75/25

the power and torque of my bigbore is really felt between 5and 8k.a good strong pull right to about 9k but falls on its face after that.the stock bore likes to rev out a little more.the trade off was well worth it.the only problem is that after the BB theres always that quest for more:eek:

i started with a aus spec KLX .. fitted the TRC system and jetting . next was the

stroker / big bore and porting .. then the RHC cams and valve kit .. next was the FCR 41 . the stroker & BB was the most improvement .

the whole kit combined is the only way to go IMO .. use eddies services :)

the power and torque of my bigbore is really felt between 5and 8k.a good strong pull right to about 9k but falls on its face after that.the stock bore likes to rev out a little more.the trade off was well worth it.the only problem is that after the BB theres always that quest for more:eek:

How did the hot cams, FCR41 and the E base gasket work for you?

i started with a aus spec KLX .. fitted the TRC system and jetting . next was the

stroker / big bore and porting .. then the RHC cams and valve kit .. next was the FCR 41 . the stroker & BB was the most improvement .

the whole kit combined is the only way to go IMO .. use eddies services :)

How much did the RHC cams and valves help you out? mine is an S and I use it like an E so the power I have now is plently for how and where I ride it but I'm thinking of picking up an SM and I'm going to put my engine in it with the last bit I need (RHC stuff) and putting the SM engine in my S with a little amount of work, pretty much a stock E motor setup.

I beg to differ :)

That was your moment to shine lol. Yeah If orgot your turbo. Can you run that thing all day or is it a picky attention whore? (like my honda lol)

That was your moment to shine lol. Yeah If orgot your turbo. Can you run that thing all day or is it a picky attention whore? (like my honda lol)

is that a challenge? Its a duel! First one to break down on the way to the agreed upon point between our locations loses! We'll need to think of a scoring system...... :D

:)

A ride through deals gap would be the shizzle.....I'd love to do that on the DRZ, regardless whether I win or not

uncle bob lol. Yeah I only have hot cams and I think next year I'm going to swap out if there is that much of a gap but I'm happy with my power right now, I'll wait till I increase my skill to the bikes speed and then move forward again.

If I buy another DRZ the mods will be as follows, and in this order.

Jet kit, one piece valves, big bore, inlet cam, exhaust system and then maybe an exhaust cam.

There would be no stroker kit, and no FCR.

Neil. :):D:worthy:

My DRZ has a 440cc kit, E cams and base gasket, 1 pc valves, and an FCR. Originally, I had a Yosh RS-3 on it. Forget what you have heard about big bores not revving out. With the large TEC insert, I had to re-train myself to keep it from bouncing off the rev-limiter. Granted, it is set lower on the S models, but still, it was amazing. But, it was too loud for sneaking around possible riding areas, so I ended up switching to an FMF header mated to a stock exhaust. It cut the low end power noticeably, and it revs slower, but it still makes big power on top. Shameless plug - it is listed for sale on here. Gotta pay for the V Strom...

Jet kit, one piece valves, big bore, inlet cam, exhaust system and then maybe an exhaust cam.

Neil. :):worthy::ride:

????????????????:D

can you explain please. No FCR? Valves as second mod?

I bought a used 06 S with about 800 miles on it. Since then I've done practically all the mods on the thing. I took it to Eddie about 2 months ago and he installed the 440 BB, 39 FCR, FMF Powerbomb and Q2, and MCCT (had to throw that in). I asked him how to break it in and he said ride it as usual. I have put about 300 miles on it and am about to change the oil. I have had no trouble during break in and the bike starts and runs much easier with the FCR.

I am continuing the mex2can.com ride this weekend so I'll let you know how the bike does. I did notice more power, particularly mid-range (I have never hit the rev limiter), how much I can't say but it feels stronger. When I bought the bike about 5 months ago it already had the 3x3 and rejeting. My brother bought a '07 yellow S w/o the 3x3 and rejeting. I could walk away from him w/o effort. Now he has the 3x3, rejeting, and slip-on. I'll report how our bikes compare (of course with the faster blue bike I don't think it's going to be much of a race). I didn't do cams, valves, or base gasket as I wanted maximum reliability, trail manners for extended riding (2nd half of mex2can is 8 days of solid riding - most in the dirt), and wanted to be able to use 87 octane gas. The cost to install the above was $1.6K and change (does not include the header or slip-on purchase) and took about 4 hours. There has not been any trouble at all.

My only gripe is of course the five speeds. Otherwise it's a fun bike to ride.

My biggest complaint about a stock DRZ is lack of snap when whacking the throttle open to try and get the front wheel over an log/rock/etc. It is just my opinion, but I think the FCR is the best improvement in that area. You can search a lot of other FCR threads on here and I think you will find other "believers". YMMV.

Neil. :):D:worthy:

neil ...your missing out on the juicy bits :ride:

????????????????:D

can you explain please. No FCR? Valves as second mod?

That's easy. the jet kit as a first mod along with 3x3 is a given.

Any work inside the engine may as well include valves as a precaution due to the number that have become 2 pieces again :banghead:

The improvement that the BB gives is felt from tick-over to the red line, and is I think, how Suzuki should have sold it in the first place.

The inlet cam gives a real world improvement from low revs.

Now the FCR, been there and done it before, yes it's a great improvement but mainly at higher revs, better throttle response at lower revs, yes but enough to be worth the money it cost, or the money the extra fuel costs, no not for me.

I took my FCR off when I sold my DRZ, and then rode it for a week with the BSR and a stage 1 dynojet kit.

The result, felt smoother around town, much better on fuel, and still lifted the front wheel on throttle in 1st and 2nd.

Neil. :):worthy::ride: